Input cap with vvr

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mike-p

Input cap with vvr

Post by mike-p »

Hi, I have vvr on the whole b plus so I added a cap before the grid stopper to block dc to the guitar pots. Both mounted together right at v1. I'm having weird issues with using a pedal on the input occasionally losing signal, should there be an additional resistor to ground? I have the 1m to ground at the input jack.

Thanks all.
bepone

Re: Input cap with vvr

Post by bepone »

put 1M on the tube grid side, this is essential
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

1M to ground after the cap and before the grid stopper? Can I ground right next to v1? It's a 6p1p so there is a ground tab on the socket bolt.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

mike-p wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:36 pm 1M to ground after the cap and before the grid stopper? Can I ground right next to v1? It's a 6p1p so there is a ground tab on the socket bolt.
The 1M to ground goes after the cap. Makes no difference if it's before the grid stopper or directly on the grid pin. Using the ground tab on the socket is convenient and neat.
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

Great, that's done the job. Still got a rattle in there somewhere but at least the looper pedal will work without fuss now while I track it down. Next tweak is to try to reduce IM distortion, maybe with a tail resistor after the cathode resistor and cap. I'll keep reading what I can about that and then probably start another thread with the specific question. Really appreciate the help here.