Kalamazoo Model 2 Chassis

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Magnatron

Kalamazoo Model 2 Chassis

Post by Magnatron »

I'm thinking for my next project of building a Kalamzoo Model 2 clone. I've looked around, but does anyone know where I could get an after market chassis for this? If not, how do you folks do one-off chassis with knob and connection printing and such?
maxkracht

Re: Kalamazoo Model 2 Chassis

Post by maxkracht »

The closest, readily available, thing I can think of would be a vibrochamp chassis. If you want to go all the way from scratch, I think the original was just a sheet of steel bent into an L, well, more of a sideways V. < Could also get a blank aluminum chassis from Hammond. Faceplate design and manufacture is its own can of worms, many possibilities with varying expense and/or difficulty.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Max is right - the original was an L of sheet metal that slid into the wooden enclosure.

Do NOT make an exact replica, as the originals were hot-chassis, with one side of the AC line connected to the chassis ground. Also known as widow-makers.

As Max says, faceplate layout is a bit of an art. I examined getting a sign printing shop to print a fairly-elaborate front panel on its sticky-back sign material. Worked OK.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I made a layout for a K2 using a Hammond organ board. It was not a hot chassis. Maybe you can use something here...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

However do add a artificial center tap to the heater string feeds.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Here's one I rebuilt for someone a year or two ago. Made a few changes from the original, but same general idea. Artificial heater center tap is going to the 6bq5 cathode.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raja_Kentut

Post by Raja_Kentut »

R.G. wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:33 pm
Do NOT make an exact replica, as the originals were hot-chassis, with one side of the AC line connected to the chassis ground. Also known as widow-makers.
IF you make an exact replica, just use a 1:1 isolation transformer as input…then you can connect the chassis to GND and to earth and it is as dangorous as any other tube amp.
Nothing is better than an unexpected discovery that brings you happiness!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The schematic for the original model I found does have a PT.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I think RG was thinking of a different Kalamazoo. The model 1 and model 2 kalamazoos I have worked on had "death caps" but were otherwise isolated.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Could be. The Kalamazoo I refurbed was a long time ago. It was definitely hot-chassis. Perhaps Kalamazoo decided not to be quite so cheap later.
Magnatron

Post by Magnatron »

sluckey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:55 pm I made a layout for a K2 using a Hammond organ board. It was not a hot chassis. Maybe you can use something here...
Nice! Thanks!
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hey,

Years ago on the Tellecaster Forum I did a clone of a Kalamazoo Model 2 build thread. Bit of an old thread and really ugly wiring but food for thought. It still works quite well although one of these years I'm going to do an update on it and clean it up so it hides my earlier build sins. :-)

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/kalamazoo ... ld.393981/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/kalamazoo ... st-5629956

Dennis