Strange loop hum

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guitarxtc

Strange loop hum

Post by Guitarxtc »

I tried in one of my builds Merlin/Engl 12ax7 fx loop and i have loud hum only if i just plug guitar direct in return jack ,guitar volume at 0= zero hum ,from 1-9 loud hum ,on 10 hum is half loud. with delay,chorus,reverb in loop... no hum.
I changed tubes,tried new cable,guitars,new loop jacks,solder... Never heard this on other amps,i have no idea any more what to try.
maxkracht

Re: Strange loop hum

Post by maxkracht »

Sounds like you have a grounding problem. Do you have a schematic or pictures of the loop?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Have you checked for oscillation?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Are you ever actually going to play the amp like that, I would think not.

If you jump between the send and receive with a cable and there's no hum issue then call it good.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

pdf64 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:27 am Have you checked for oscillation?
Is a 194HZ hum, i will try to use other tube position and rewire for fx loop ,that tube was for clean channel
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

Stevem wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:57 am Are you ever actually going to play the amp like that, I would think not.

If you jump between the send and receive with a cable and there's no hum issue then call it good.

Probably i will not play like that, but i can't sleep if i don't resolve this :mrgreen:
bepone

Post by bepone »

Guitarxtc wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:36 pm I tried in one of my builds Merlin/Engl 12ax7 fx loop and i have loud hum only if i just plug guitar direct in return jack ,guitar volume at 0= zero hum ,from 1-9 loud hum ,on 10 hum is half loud. with delay,chorus,reverb in loop... no hum.
I changed tubes,tried new cable,guitars,new loop jacks,solder... Never heard this on other amps,i have no idea any more what to try.
You are not posting any valuable info.. schematic, what did you connect and where , voltages.. which amp. Very basic description of the problem.
What i can see, 100% this is not normal