Rivera-style modded Fender Modded Deluxe

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M3thoms

Rivera-style modded Fender Modded Deluxe

Post by M3thoms »

Hi I am new here, and pretty fresh to amp-building in general, but I've been designing a schematic for a modded fender deluxe. It is loosely based off of the Paul Rivera modded deluxes. I have added a fat switch, but am confused at how to draw and implement a switch between lead and clean channels. I want to use Push Pull pots like Paul does. The schematic of the Deluxe Reverb II is very hard for me to follow. Probably a silly question, but what the hell are those boxes with the little plus sign? Where is the guitar signal actually going between the clean/lead channels? How do I implement this in my own design.

https://robrobinette.com/images/Guitar/ ... ematic.gif
Stevem

Re: Rivera-style modded Fender Modded Deluxe

Post by Stevem »

There a solid state switcher in those boxes.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

More specifically, they are vactrol LED optocouplers. You can use something like a vtl5c or make your own with an LED and a LDR.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

M3thoms wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:16 pm ... but what the hell are those boxes with the little plus sign?
Those are VTL5C1 light dependent resistors (LDR). They have an LED and a photocell inside them. When the light from the LED hits the photocell, the resistance of the photocell plummets.
VTL5C1-5C4 PerkinElmer.pdf
Fender Deluxe Reverb II.png
The amp has a -6.2V supply that is used to light the LED's. Sometimes the LDR is used to ground-out the audio signal and sometimes it is used to connect a signal path.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M3thoms

Post by M3thoms »

Hey so I've been working hard on my deluxe schematic. It's almost almost there. I have been looking at what sort of capacitor values I could use as the Deluxe has a reputation for loose bottom end that gets unpleasant when distorted. I was thinking of leaving the usual capacitors in place for the clean channel but altering the bias capacitors and coupling capacitors in the overdrive channel to shape the tone. What sort of capacitor values should I be looking at to get a tight and cohesive overdrive sound?