Matamp R28 info - request for help

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

SteveT

Matamp R28 info - request for help

Post by SteveT »

Evening all,

This is my first post, so be gentle. I’ve recently purchased a Matamp R28 amp. It’s about 20 years old, sounds glorious and is far better at being an amp than I am at being a guitarist. I’m not going to lie, it was a decision made with the heart rather than the head, but one I’m delighted I made. I’ve been trying to do some research on it, and other than a few YouTube videos where the poster runs a loop whilst the knobs are twiddled, I’m coming up blank. This could well be due to poor research skills rather than a lack of info online, but the result is still a desert of information. My understanding is that it received a very favourable review from Guitarist Magazine back in the day. If anybody has any information, or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I’ve tried contacting Matamp directly but am yet to receive a reply. Thanks in advance.
Stevem

Re: Matamp R28 info - request for help

Post by Stevem »

I must say that to me I find this a strange post!

I think your just trolling for conversation, I mean if you love it so very much what do you need to know about it?

Are you going to build another one and need a schematic, if so I think you would have said such right up front.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Thanks for the reply, I think. Not sure why I would build one when I already have one, but anything is possible I guess. Was just hoping to find a bit more information about my purchase. For example, it has a footswitch jack, but as I don’t have a footswitch I have no idea what it does. I’m not trolling for conversation, and whilst a schematic would be interesting, I’d have to learn how to read one, than learn how to solder if I did want to make a second one for that stereo rig I’m never going to need. Sometimes people are just making genuine enquiries because they are interested in their latest purchase.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

SteveT,
Many if not most of the members on this forum do read schematics and solder. We typically discuss more technical topics than you have posted here.

Your first post is VERY general, but your second does ask about the footswitch. If you ask for specific information you are more likely to get a useful answer. I'm afraid I know nothing about your amp so have nothing more to contribute.

Have you tried the Marshall Amp forum? They have a separate area for non Marshall amps and some very knowledgeable members.

https://www.marshallforum.com/
Glenn
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Do a search on here, as I thought I recall some questions about a Matamp a few months ago, I forget which section though!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

I’ve got a soft spot for amps from the North of England…

I *think* the R28 is similar to the V28 which you can find on the internet archive here with the magazine review and info on the company history here - notice they refer to it as an R28 at the bottom in the score.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

GAStan, thanks for the reply and for the advice. It was my first post, so I’m very much still feeling my way. I’m a member of other none guitar forums that have posts that are way more general than this one. Lesson learned :o)

Stevem, I’ll definitely give that a go. Thanks for the heads up.

timrobertson100, thanks so much for the link to the Guitarist article link. Super helpful, answered several questions I have and gave me some reassurance that the reputation that Matamp have is well deserved. I’m guessing that V28 is the head only and R28 is the combo. Just a guess but seems reasonable. Not sure how you found it but thanks for taking the time to post it.
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

You’re welcome. I’m a little jealous even ;)
The first tube amp I ever played was a Matamp-Orange.

If you are able, and can do it safely, some decent photos showing the insides would be a good addition. Remember that lethal voltages continue in the capacitors for quite some time after power off, so please only do this if you are confident in what you are doing.
CraigGa

Post by CraigGa »

Back in the day I used to help a friend with his mobile disco and we used two 100W valve matamps.
I can't remember what model they were but we are pretty local so visited Mat at the workshop a few times with those amps.

Now I see that someone has revived the name
https://www.matamp.co.uk/

Craig
Thinking about my second build.