The Lost Art of Cable Lacing

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

R.G.

The Lost Art of Cable Lacing

Post by R.G. »

This popped into my head on a reply to another thread, and I thought it might be interesting to others. I love the look of neatly laced cables. True, long runs of parallel wires are not the greatest wire dress style, but then NASA did OK with it on lots of shots. I think it's a great way to corral heater and power supply wires. Grid wires, unless shielded, are probably better left out.
Here's a few links to get you started if you like it:
https://www.garagejournal.com/the-lost- ... ing-cable/
https://makezine.com/article/technology ... le-lacing/
https://luke.hsiao.dev/blog/cable-lacing/
maxkracht

Re: The Lost Art of Cable Lacing

Post by maxkracht »

Here's one I did recently. Still learning, so not the neatest job... I used this cord. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096466JVD?ps ... t_details I have also used string for sewing leather, which I think looks nicer, but doesn't have enough wax to stick to itself. I have also played with DIY netting needles to hold the laces while I work. Great for things in the open, but not the best for really tight spaces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ampdan

Post by ampdan »

CraigGa

Post by CraigGa »

As an ex BT guy, I can honestly say that I've done miles of lacing both on bunches of cables and bunches of wires.
It's a lost art now though, it's all cable straps and double sided velcro now.

Craig
Thinking about my second build.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

maxkracht wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:44 pm Here's one I did recently. Still learning, so not the neatest job... I used this cord. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096466JVD?ps ... t_details I have also used string for sewing leather, which I think looks nicer, but doesn't have enough wax to stick to itself. I have also played with DIY netting needles to hold the laces while I work. Great for things in the open, but not the best for really tight spaces.
Beautiful!

There are tiny wooden pins (chopstick diameter) I saw on Amazon that might help toe the line until you get the next loop. Using a stiff but thin bit of rubber with a small split would mimic those.

Dental floss braid looks good, btw..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:45 pmBeautiful!
Thanks!

Here's my scrap aluminum netting needle. Works great, just not for really tight spaces. Hemostats/tweezers seem to be faster when there isn't much space. Maybe a bendy plastic version would work better. External cable harness on a jig is definitely the way to go if you have the option...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

I've always been a fan too, but cable ties are so much easier, lol.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

maxkracht wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:54 pm
Reeltarded wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:45 pmBeautiful!
Thanks!

Here's my scrap aluminum netting needle. Works great, just not for really tight spaces. Hemostats/tweezers seem to be faster when there isn't much space. Maybe a bendy plastic version would work better. External cable harness on a jig is definitely the way to go if you have the option...
I carve net shuttles like that from bamboo. You can make a very pliable tool from bamboo that is amazingly resilient to wear.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:50 pm I carve net shuttles like that from bamboo. You can make a very pliable tool from bamboo that is amazingly resilient to wear.
Thanks, might give that a try.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

We laced all wires in aircraft tailbooms but I don't want them closer than necessary in an amp.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I have some vintage Tektronix oscilloscopes that look amazing inside with all the point-to-point wiring and cable lacing. A lot of labor for sure.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:00 pm We laced all wires in aircraft tailbooms but I don't want them closer than necessary in an amp.
Yeah, as I said - you have to pick your wires to lace. Closer is better for low-impedance, high current lines that carry out-and-back currents. This keeps the magnetic field loop as small as possible. Far apart is better for high impedance signal wires. That might better be done with shielding as well as distance.

Notable examples in my mind for cabling are the obvious ones - heater pairs and AC mains runs. The wires to/from tone/volume controls can be cabled in most cases if they are related to just one preamp section. These wires carry the same signal, just with different voltages and amounts of treble cut. It's not perfect, of course, as there can still be some leakage from wire to wire, and the grid wire(s) might need attention, but this could help ensure that other channels' wires don't get too near.

I obviously don't have experience with every amp ever made, but for the ones I've tried it on, I did not get noticeable leakage or oscillation. But then I also worry about knowing what signal is on which wire and how they would affect each other. I also don't go for super-mega-gain amps much, a I prefer a softer amp distortion.

It's not a technically perfect technique, and it's very difficult to modify, so it's not for ever builder or amp, and not a prescription for beginner builders. But it's pretty (to me at least) and an interesting form of technical gymnastics.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

If you had engineered at Bell, they would have been wired right, and that 400Hz inverter squeal wouldn't be in the headsets. 🙂
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:09 pm If you had engineered at Bell, they would have been wired right, and that 400Hz inverter squeal wouldn't be in the headsets. 🙂
Sadly, I didn't get to do that. I wound up at [a Major Computer Company] instead of NASA, where I wanted to go: they weren't hiring. Neither was Electro-Harmonix, which was another not-so-second choice. I had to take what I could get. :|
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

You've done well R.G. if you landed a NASA gig you might have been too busy to have shared your extensive solid state knowledge with us over the last several decades. Geofex is a valued resource and has aided thousands in accessing the intricacies of the pedal world.