Fryette Power Station

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Fryette Power Station

Post by Reeltarded »

JD0x0 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:44 pm (Discounting for Fletcher Munson curves and speaker response)
If money is going to be spent, I always fall on the more is less side. Options you might rarely use are still useful and if they aren't available.. well.. can't do that. Options are tools.

I know Paul's Fryette + 100w works like me looping into returns on 100s for power or special sauce planet melting tones. There is a lot of juju putting two 4 holers in series. Insane harmonics and you know you sound like a rockstar. Your cut choices are hard to replicate for other peeps and it makes people angry and jealous. lol This is my favorite one chain setup for Strat. If you can make it there you can make it anywhere. It is like breaking a horse. Insanity. A second load gets you into the mixer for loop out.. can't do that if the load is mated to power.

Whatever works though. I say all this as I prepare everything to play nice with a Neural QC because I am a traitor! Lets capture a series two plexi chain and see if the robot chokes.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bobwithatele

Post by bobwithatele »

I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to build something like this. I have a Fryette Power Station, it's a very good device, but overkill for what I want - a good non-tone-sucking attenuator, an opportunity to add post-power-tube-distortion effects, and then something to amplify the signal back to whatever level I deem necessary.

I agree with the idea mentioned previously of checking out the JohnH attenuator https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/s ... ing.98285/ This thread appears to be the mother of all attenuator threads, and very helpful. I have built one of these JohnH designs (cheap enough to do), with a line out. This feeds my "post" effects, or my Quad Cortex or Kemper for capture purposes. I'm now experimenting with various chip-based and class D amp boards for the "bring the signal back up to a reasonable level" part (pretty cheap), as another tube stage seems to be overkill and, as discussed earlier in this thread, why introduce more tube distortion and nonlinearities when you've already gotten what you presumably want from your amp?
cdemike

Post by cdemike »

bobwithatele wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to build something like this. I have a Fryette Power Station, it's a very good device, but overkill for what I want - a good non-tone-sucking attenuator, an opportunity to add post-power-tube-distortion effects, and then something to amplify the signal back to whatever level I deem necessary.

I agree with the idea mentioned previously of checking out the JohnH attenuator https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/s ... ing.98285/ This thread appears to be the mother of all attenuator threads, and very helpful. I have built one of these JohnH designs (cheap enough to do), with a line out. This feeds my "post" effects, or my Quad Cortex or Kemper for capture purposes. I'm now experimenting with various chip-based and class D amp boards for the "bring the signal back up to a reasonable level" part (pretty cheap), as another tube stage seems to be overkill and, as discussed earlier in this thread, why introduce more tube distortion and nonlinearities when you've already gotten what you presumably want from your amp?
I have a Weber MASS that is overall not so bad, but I'm getting really sick of the inconsistent volume at high attenuation levels, which has led me to begin planning on a JohnH attenuator build myself. The trouble is that the Weber doesn't really
work well at apartment-friendly volume levels since the rheostat is jumpy and can spontaneously adjust itself from too quiet to irritating-to-neighbors. So I'm considering would also be a reamping setup basically exactly like you're describing to solve that issue -- have you had any success?
bobwithatele

Post by bobwithatele »

cdemike wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:50 pm I have a Weber MASS that is overall not so bad, but I'm getting really sick of the inconsistent volume at high attenuation levels, which has led me to begin planning on a JohnH attenuator build myself. The trouble is that the Weber doesn't really
work well at apartment-friendly volume levels since the rheostat is jumpy and can spontaneously adjust itself from too quiet to irritating-to-neighbors. So I'm considering would also be a reamping setup basically exactly like you're describing to solve that issue -- have you had any success?
The JohnH attenuator works very well and consistently at apartment-friendly levels, and the line out works as expected. I've successfully followed that up with both a Mooer Baby Bomb and a TPA3118 PBTL board (preceded by a buffer) into a guitar cab, but both of those are too loud for quiet-ish use, so I'm looking for either other, lower-watt, options, or implementing a big pad/voltage divider. It's not a priority, so this particular project is on the back burner at the moment. But I use the JohnH attenuator regularly.