Fryette Power Station

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M3thoms

Fryette Power Station

Post by M3thoms »

Hey gang, long shot but has anyone got any info on the internals of a Fryette Power Station load box. I want to try and build one that’s as transparent as this model. A schematic, partlist and gut shot would do nicely but I’m aware pigs might fly as far as that’s concerned. Let me know!
neskor

Re: Fryette Power Station

Post by neskor »

no schematic available, as I know
check the picture for internals
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M3thoms

Post by M3thoms »

Amazing, thank you for the picture. I shall keep scouring the internet
M3thoms

Post by M3thoms »

neskor wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:11 pm no schematic available, as I know
Would it be possible for you to send more photos showing the device in greater detail? How would I go about constructing my own schematic from this gut shot?
neskor

Post by neskor »

more pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

M3thoms wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:17 am
neskor wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:11 pm no schematic available, as I know
Would it be possible for you to send more photos showing the device in greater detail? How would I go about constructing my own schematic from this gut shot?

Nearly impossible. Highly unlikely.

You can extrapolate the core function just by seeing the 12.5mH choke that is the main load inductor and finding out what speaker it mimics.

The rest is a 50w tube output section (including PI) with a resistor instead of a choke. It has some tone stack. (unlikely that values are based on usual TMB values, probably 100k slope with lower value pots)

I don't know what other controls, but it has an internal line out to harness the signal from load to PI input.

It's all you need to know. lmao
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

I once considered building a similar device in the hopes of saving money. Fact is that I bought a PS100 for $700 and I love it. If I want to sell it I’ll get most of my money back and it’s just to easy to keep it. It allows so much more than just being an attenuator that it’s not feasible to build anything comparable. By the way I don’t attenuate with it. I use it for wet/dry, yes it absorbs 1/2 the amps power but then it re amps it with the effects at full power. I use it with a 100 watt Super Lead and two Marshall 4x12 cabs.
M3thoms

Post by M3thoms »

wpaulvogel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:29 am I once considered building a similar device in the hopes of saving money. Fact is that I bought a PS100 for $700 and I love it. If I want to sell it I’ll get most of my money back and it’s just to easy to keep it. It allows so much more than just being an attenuator that it’s not feasible to build anything comparable. By the way I don’t attenuate with it. I use it for wet/dry, yes it absorbs 1/2 the amps power but then it re amps it with the effects at full power. I use it with a 100 watt Super Lead and two Marshall 4x12 cabs.
Yeah I mean I don't have a spare £700 lying around. Plus I'm an ambitious sort and I feel like a challenge. My motivations are twofold number 1: I could use a device like this and making it would most likely be cheaper than buying it. Number 2: Whilst it's understandable designers want to keep their designs secret, restricting access to schematics I find to be unethical. It restricts development as many users of this platform have argued in the past. Number 3: I think it would be fun.
M3thoms

Post by M3thoms »

neskor wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:42 pmmore pictures
Thanks Neskor, really helpful pictures
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

M3thoms wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:17 pm
wpaulvogel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:29 am I once considered building a similar device in the hopes of saving money. Fact is that I bought a PS100 for $700 and I love it. If I want to sell it I’ll get most of my money back and it’s just to easy to keep it. It allows so much more than just being an attenuator that it’s not feasible to build anything comparable. By the way I don’t attenuate with it. I use it for wet/dry, yes it absorbs 1/2 the amps power but then it re amps it with the effects at full power. I use it with a 100 watt Super Lead and two Marshall 4x12 cabs.
Yeah I mean I don't have a spare £700 lying around. Plus I'm an ambitious sort and I feel like a challenge. My motivations are twofold number 1: I could use a device like this and making it would most likely be cheaper than buying it. Number 2: Whilst it's understandable designers want to keep their designs secret, restricting access to schematics I find to be unethical. It restricts development as many users of this platform have argued in the past. Number 3: I think it would be fun.

It will not be cheaper than $700.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M3thoms

Post by M3thoms »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:19 pm
M3thoms wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:17 pm

It will not be cheaper than $700.
Okay, money aside I'm still going to try and build it. Thanks for your financial input.
cdemike

Post by cdemike »

Why not just build a reactive dummy load and reamping device without necessarily copying the Power Station? It seems to me that there's enough information about the Power Station to inform tweaking a something of your own design, and there's a ton of information on the Fryette Youtube channel, including this video even gives some component values: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16g7y2fSDE

Based on what I'm getting from the video and the other videos on their channel about the Power Station, it seems like it's a fairly similar design to the JohnH attenuator from the Marshall Forum (https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/s ... ing.98285/). There is no shortage of good attenuator and dummy load designs, and feeding the line-level signal to a linear power amp executes the same design principle. I'm really not convinced having the tube output section as in the Power Station is necessary, since it seems to me that the goal of the reamping device would high-fidelity reproduction of the input signal over a variety of volume levels, not to sag, distort or any of the other characteristics guitarists typically look to tubes for. In other words, it seems to me that a solid state HiFi output section would be perfectly fine, and that'd be a major way you could improve on the design -- less heat, no risk of cooking it with a bad speaker cable, etc. I suspect the reason they used a tube output section on the Power Station was to avoid criticism from purists who think the entire signal chain must be tube-based at all costs, no matter how nonsensical that philosophy is on a technical and historical level (EVH, Jimmy Page, and all the other people who used Echoplex preamps didn't seem to mind the first amplification stage of their signal being a non-transparent JFET-based boost!). On the other hand, if you're really committed to an all-tube signal amplification chain, you'll be on the hook for the usual power transformer, output transformer, etc., so I'd be interested to know if it'd be better to do something more in line with the HiFi designs I've seen like using ultra-linear operation, higher dissipation tubes like 6550 or KT88/90/120, and so on. You'll already need to buy the parts, so if going down the tube road, why not build a really nice HiFi output stage? That'll get expensive quickly, though, so I maintain that the solid state output section would be best.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I don't understand the tube power. I already use tube amps. All loaded, all sub-mixed, effected, and stereo to massive power and sixteen 12s.

Slew matters for impact and clarity.

The extra tube output is actually anything but transparent at unity.

I admit that the device makes me angry. lol For instance. The Devil is a powered speaker.

:o
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:59 am I don't understand the tube power. I already use tube amps. All loaded, all sub-mixed, effected, and stereo to massive power and sixteen 12s.

Slew matters for impact and clarity.

The extra tube output is actually anything but transparent at unity.

I admit that the device makes me angry. lol For instance. The Devil is a powered speaker.

:o
Yeah, the whole 'magic' of tubes is the lack of transparency. I'm not sure why you'd want a power amp coloring your tone, unless you're only connecting a preamp to it, and want the power amp coloration. I think a "Power station" device would work a lot better with a high headroom Class D output. Less coloration, less weight, less cost, more power output and more simple to build. You could turn your 4 watt Champ into a 1000 watt amp, if you wanted to, while still being able to moderate a 100 Watt Marshall down to manageable levels just by turning the volume control down. Don't have to worry about 'opening it up' for that tube tone, as it will essentially sound the same at all levels. (Discounting for Fletcher Munson curves and speaker response)
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
neskor

Post by neskor »

You have something lake that: Boss Waza TAE