Event monitors PT replacement

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ynor

Event monitors PT replacement

Post by ynor »

Hi,

I'm obviously chasing transformer ghosts! My tinnitus requires that I hunt and kill the buzzing of all amp transformers in my studio room. So I have new transformers for my OTS and C-lator currently shipping. But I also have found my trust old Event 20/20 BAS active studio monitors from the mid-1990s. These have awful transformer noise, obviously vibrating laminates, and are not usable in the current state due to the bothersome noise. So I have decided to try to refurbish these. Event Electronics are no longer in business, I think the brand is owned by RØDE. I probably wont find original replacement transformers, but I'm thinking of replacing them with toroidals. I have measured the secondaries at 2x 30 VAC with a center tap (60 VAC between both leads) @ 230 VAC primary. But I'm not sure how much current the PT needs to be speced at. On the back of the speaker it says "POWER REQUIREMENT 220-240V 50/60 Hz 200VA". Does that mean that I need a toroidal rated at 200VA (=3,33 A)? What happens if I choose a toroidal speced at 250VA?

I have found two toroidal I believe could be used as replacements:

200 VA:
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/tts200_z2 ... ufvassons/

and a cheaper one at 225 VA:
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/55164-p1s ... rs/talema/

Both should fit inside the chassis.
Any comments?

20240401_101912.jpg
20240401_103213.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Re: Event monitors PT replacement

Post by martin manning »

Your logic is sound. A toroidal PT is more efficient than the E-I type, maybe as much as 5%, so you might even get away with a bit less than the stated VA. I would connect that device through a power monitor (an inexpensive and useful tool) and see what it is actually drawing.
ynor

Post by ynor »

martin manning wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:45 am Your logic is sound. A toroidal PT is more efficient than the E-I type, maybe as much as 5%, so maybe you can even get away with a bit less than the stated VA. I would connect that device through a power monitor (an inexpensive and useful tool) and see what it is actually drawing.
Thanks Martin, again :-)

I suppose its OK to choose the 225 VA as that is the cheapest of the alternatives? Can see if I can find a power monitor.

Toroidals are much less prone to vibration noises, am I correct?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

It won't hurt to oversize the PT a bit, and yes torroids are better behaved re core vibration.
ynor

Post by ynor »

martin manning wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:06 pm It won't hurt to oversize the PT a bit, and yes torroids are better behaved re core vibration.
Got those toroidals and installed them today. Works perfectly! No vibrations at all! Those 25 years old Events are rescued and sounds good!

Thank you once again, Martin, for your advice :-)
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Nice, good to hear it worked out, and your monitors have a new lease on life!