USA Source for a 5E3 Deluxe Chassis?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

syscokid

USA Source for a 5E3 Deluxe Chassis?

Post by syscokid »

I’m trying to decide if I want to do another amp build. The low powered and small 5E3 circuit looks very interesting. I would like to install the chassis in a head cabinet. I don’t want the vertical mount style and would prefer a horizontal mount. I’ve seen some examples of the standard Deluxe chassis mounted horizontally, but I don’t like the tubes sticking out sideways. I noticed that Lil Dawg Amps make a lunchbox version of the Deluxe, but with a horizontal chassis and the tubes pointing up. The only chassis source that I found so far that offers this special type of 5E3 chassis is Modulus Amps in the UK. It’s a nice looking chassis too. But does anybody here know of a USA or Canadian source for a chassis like this?
IMG_1206.jpeg
From Lil Dawg Amp’s:
IMG_1208.png
IMG_1209.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg
TUBEDUDE

Re: USA Source for a 5E3 Deluxe Chassis?

Post by TUBEDUDE »

It's a simple circuit to do PtP with a small Hammond box.
And easier with a turret board or card.
20230425_140637.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
bepone

Post by bepone »

maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I recently built a single channel 5e3ish thing in a Hammond 1444-18 chassis. Plenty of room for a regular 5e3. https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37036
syscokid

Post by syscokid »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:41 pm It's a simple circuit to do PtP with a small Hammond box.
20230425_140637.jpg
Love the gold! I see some classy tubes. What might be hiding under those heat shields? I bet the amp sounds good too. But my eyes cannot get comfortable with true PTP, ha ha! How does this PTP style amp's background noise levels compare to a more traditional style wiring of the Deluxe circuit?

bepone wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:28 pm lunch box is hammond chassis 1441
https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/smal ... assis/1441
Thanks! I was just looking at that. I saw that they offered a size that would have been perfect, at least for me...: 13.5" x 5" x 2". It also happens' to be one of the sizes that Hammond does not offer a corresponding perforated chassis cover... Bummer! That would have look great with the chassis and the cover in a satin black, and saved me some money too. The next sizes with a cover are 12" and 16" of chassis length... ugh!

maxkracht wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:59 pm I recently built a single channel 5e3ish thing in a Hammond 1444-18 chassis. Plenty of room for a regular 5e3. https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37036
Yup, there's that perfect size again! And, Holy Moses that build is crazy cool! Very nicely done.
Greg
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

It's far, far quieter. Filtering is better ground scheme is better, and the heaters are elevated.
Having hand issues and upcoming surgery so progress has been slow but here's the cab in process. Sounds great with 2 10" speakers.
20231214_214706.jpg
syscokid

Post by syscokid »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:20 am It's far, far quieter. Filtering is better ground scheme is better, and the heaters are elevated.
Having hand issues and upcoming surgery so progress has been slow but here's the cab in process. Sounds great with 2 10" speakers.
20231214_214706.jpg
Thanks, very interesting info. Your cab, or is it cabs, looks awesome! Very wild, warm, and unique. Is that a one-piece combo cab? Did you torch the wood a la Shou Sugi Ban?
Greg
cdemike

Post by cdemike »

Agree with the Hammond enclosures if you have the ability to machine the chassis. If you don't, I have ordered from Modulus in the United States without issues since I also wanted their aluminum JTM-style chassis and don't have the tools or space for machining that I would find visually acceptable (still had to drill and cut the chassis for transformer mounts, ground lugs, standoffs, etc., but it doesn't seem that'd be the case with your build). I'd recommend emailing first to double-check that it's in stock and ordering more than the chassis to offset overall shipping costs, but Modulus generally has pretty good prices on things like capacitors, boards, transformers, etc., at least when comparing to AES, Mojotone, etc.

Speaking of capacitors,
TUBEDUDE wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:41 pm It's a simple circuit to do PtP with a small Hammond box.
20230425_140637.jpg
don't mind me drooling over the Solen filter caps.
syscokid

Post by syscokid »

cdemike wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:37 pm Agree with the Hammond enclosures if you have the ability to machine the chassis.
Bingo! I do have the ability and experience of once drilling through a blank chassis. It turned out ok, but not perfect. It was a great learning experience, but it also was a PITA. Then again, maybe I should change my attitude and try again!

If I do go with the Modulus chassis, I certainly will order their front faceplate, and I have already sent them a message inquiring about a custom rear faceplate for it. Haven’t heard back yet.

I do have some of the small parts that I would need for the build, including tubes, but I get what you’re saying. There’s a few options that I need to scrutinize carefully.
Greg
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

syscokid wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:20 am
TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:20 am It's far, far quieter. Filtering is better ground scheme is better, and the heaters are elevated.
20231214_214706.jpg
Thanks, very interesting info. Your cab, or is it cabs, looks awesome! Very wild, warm, and unique. Is that a one-piece combo cab? Did you torch the wood a la Shou Sugi Ban?
Yes it got the Sugi treatment. It's a one piece cab with a Weber A10Q and a C10Q. Here's the pedal compartment (7x6x7" deep).
20240405_170656.jpg
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Those hammond enclosures are relatively thin aluminum, so machining isn't too bad. More of a pain than predrilled, but you can knock something out with a stepper bit and a file pretty quick if you don't need to cut too many square holes. Nibblers or jewelers saws are nice for squares, but not necessary. I reinforce the transformer mounts with wide steel washers on both sides to spread the weight. I wouldn't try the same things with a steel enclosure.
syscokid

Post by syscokid »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:09 pm Yes it got the Sugi treatment. It's a one piece cab with a Weber A10Q and a C10Q. Here's the pedal compartment (7x6x7" deep).
20240405_170656.jpg
Brilliant! Interesting choice of speaker combination.
Greg
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

syscokid wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:27 am
TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:09 pm Yes it got the Sugi treatment. It's a one piece cab with a Weber A10Q and a C10Q. Here's the pedal compartment (7x6x7" deep).
20240405_170656.jpg
Brilliant! Interesting choice of speaker combination.
I used the same pair in a bigger box with great success so i tried using them here also. I prefer two tens over one twelve if I have the space. More cone area for lower lows while snappy in the attack and extended highs.
Last edited by TUBEDUDE on Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnatron

Post by Magnatron »

bepone wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:28 pm lunch box is hammond chassis 1441
https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/smal ... assis/1441
Where do you order this stuff? The lunch box design looks perfect for my new harp amp build.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Hawk usually has best prices in Hammond stuff...

https://www.hawkusa.com/search?search=1 ... er_page=10