Taming amp gain in single channel deluxe reverb build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

didit

Re: Taming amp gain in single channel deluxe reverb build

Post by didit »

Thanks Ian --

Makes sense with your explanation. I'd asked mostly out of pure curiosity. However, few possible additions/tweaks from the Dumble recipe book might increase utility and novelty but leave that to you for further thought.

Best ..
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

sluckey wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm I just installed a 100K master volume pot in my single channel DR. Lets you control how much signal is sent to the PI. Works fine for me. Take a look...
https://sluckeyamps.com/tdr/tdr.pdf
Gotta say, this is a really nice little amp! Love the look, too.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Thanks Martin. I really like yours too!
imo1

Post by imo1 »

I bit on Ian's suggestion to try the Hammond OT, so waiting for that to arrive. The multiple taps open up some options for me, and I'm probably going to use a Celestion vintage 30 that I have. I love that amp for mid level amps like this. Anyway, it's a 16 ohm speaker. If I want to keep the feedback system similar, should use a 33r resistor? I know that Fender uses 100R for both 4R.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

This comes up all the time. You can keep the same feedback resistor on the same tap, and put the speaker on whichever one it matches, or, move the feedback resistor to the tap the speaker is on, and adjust it's value by (New Spkr Tap/Old Spkr Tap)^0.5
Given the secondary hookup for the 1620, you will want to do the latter.
Example: 16 ohm speaker and tap in place of 8 ohm, adjust the feedback by (16/8)^0.5 = 1.414
The 820 ohm series resistor becomes 1k2, or, if you have no presence cap frequency response to worry about, you could reduce the 47R to 33R as you said.
Mind the phase relationship too.
imo1

Post by imo1 »

martin manning wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:32 pm This comes up all the time. You can keep the same feedback resistor on the same tap, and put the speaker on whichever one it matches, or, move the feedback resistor to the tap the speaker is on, and adjust it's value by (New Spkr Tap/Old Spkr Tap)^0.5
Given the secondary hookup for the 1620, you will want to do the latter.
Example: 16 ohm speaker and tap in place of 8 ohm, adjust the feedback by (16/8)^0.5 = 1.414
The 820 ohm series resistor becomes 1k2, or, if you have no presence cap frequency response to worry about, you could reduce the 47R to 33R as you said.
Mind the phase relationship too.
Martin,

Thanks for the response. I only have the one speaker jack so unless I found a tie in for the 8R tap, it does make the most sense to change the feedback resistor.

Would i still be changing the 820R to a 1.2k or could I just change the 47R to a 33R?

What specifically do you mean by minding the phase relationship? Its pretty easy to find the primary correct windings as the amp howls with it backwards. Assuming I have that correct and follow the secondary diagram for output, I should be in phase, yes?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

imo1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 am Would i still be changing the 820R to a 1.2k or could I just change the 47R to a 33R?
Either way will work for you since there is no presence control. If there were, changing the PI tail resistor would change the frequency response of the feedback, which would require a change to the presence cap value to keep that the same.
imo1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 am What specifically do you mean by minding the phase relationship?
Just that it looks like the primary lead colors are reversed wrt the usual Fender convention where blue is the in-phase lead.
imo1

Post by imo1 »

Awesome. In that case I will just change the tail, and it wouldn’t be an amp build for me without squealing leads on initial power up. Seems that no matter how closely I follow the the diagram, I always have to reverse the primary leads