'63 Selmer Treble n bass dilemma..

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

AtomCap

'63 Selmer Treble n bass dilemma..

Post by AtomCap »

A Customer of mine just got fooked on a reverb.com Selmer purhcase, $5K for a dead treble-n-bass, croc skin 2 tone tolex, 2x12 cab with dry-rotted goodman drivers...
Speakers, rebuilding- thats easy..
BUT this amp needs a new Power transformer, the originals done- only the 100V tap works, other coils are all open...
Amps a total mess, sold as "works great!" thats reverb for you. Fired up on a variac made it to 88V before current draw was about to pop the main fuse..
lotta corrosion on this PT and thick brown rust...

anyways, aside merc-mag selling their $340 PT, has anyone ever thrown a JTM45 PT into one of these? Its essentially VERY similar to a Marshall and the voltages in the schem are the same.
might have to machine up a converter plate as I dont want to drill the chassis if I dont have to.

Can post up pics if anyone wants to see how it was done in 1963
pdf64

Re: '63 Selmer Treble n bass dilemma..

Post by pdf64 »

If you send the duff mains transformer to Luke at Transformer Equipment, I think he could backwards engineer it and build a clone, for a fraction of the MM price.

But yes, a good JTM45/50 mains transformer should be electrically fairly similar.

A friend has a dead T&B MkII that needs a lot of work, he keeps asking me to do it, so some chassis photos, especially the wiring, would be appreciated.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have used the jtm45 PT in a 65 Fender Bassman and one would be hard pressed to hear the difference with the slightly lesser B+ voltage.

If you can surmount the mechanical difference I say go for it, and you would likely save the owner 100 bucks in the end also.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Roe

Post by Roe »

do these amps draw more current than a jtm45?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Roe wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:47 pm do these amps draw more current than a jtm45?
I think so, due to the much lower impedance OT, but then so does a JTM50, yet the same spec mains transformer got used, for the early production at least (as I understand it).
As I recall, the T&B mains transformer was a bit smaller than a JTM45 type.
Plus the T&B has a CLC pi filter feeding the OT CT anode HT node, and the HT was kinda saggy.

When I'm referring to JTM45, I mean the vintage type, not the RI, which has a lower voltage HT winding.