(almost) first build advice needed - TW inspired

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Re: (almost) first build advice needed - TW inspired

Post by Phil_S »

flood wrote:it turns out that instead of putting a 220k resistor for the V1 plates, i'd used a 2k2 instead.
It happens more often than you want to believe and in both directions. I've used 100K where I needed 1K and vice versa. You have to check every resistor on the meter two times before you put it in the circuit. Sometimes, what you "see" and what the meter reads are two different things.

Those clips sound good to me. If you need to reduce the treble, try using some different value caps in the tone stack or increase the value of the bypass cap on the first gain stage. If there is no cathode bypass cap on the first triode, try a variety of caps... .68u, .1u, 5u, 10u, 20u. As you increase, it will let in more bass.
flood

Re: (almost) first build advice needed - TW inspired

Post by flood »

phil, any idea why the 2k2 0.5W resistor didn't burn up? i've NEVER seen a plate resistor that small. what are the effects other than the ones i've noticed - loss of gain and (to some extent) highs?

the cathode bypass cap on V1 is 0.33 with a switchable 25u. on the clips, the 25u is in the circuit. the bass doesn't seem to have been cut that much, but the treble response goes into earbleed territory. much better match with the PAFs, the FL classics have some sort of very dynamic higher frequency thing going on.

a big shout to my friend raj sanyal from the delhi based band faridkot here - if i had played, the results would have been quite catastrophic.... you'll see what i mean when i upload the next set of clips!
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.