What's your favorite 2xEL84 Amp?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

benoit

What's your favorite 2xEL84 Amp?

Post by benoit »

I've got an OT and PT from an old organ amp that are spec'd basically the same as a carmen ghia. 2 EL84s, 4 or 5 12ax7s and a rectifier (don't remember which one). Anyway I kind of like the ghias I've played but I'm not 100% sure that's what I want yet. I've thought about a half power rocket or liverpool (or maybe Mazerati GT) but have read that you end up with a less full sound. I'm not worried about it not being half as loud, I'm just trying to use what I've got to cut cost. I'm still open to the half power deal, but I think it'd be cool to do an amp that was designed for two tubes.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
Abstract

Re: What's your favorite 2xEL84 Amp?

Post by Abstract »

Skyboltone built me a 2x7189 Express...I LOVE it. My clips were ridiculed on another board (and got no response here) so I won't link to those...Everyone that's played (heard) it has commented on how nice it sounds...idk.

I don't know if your tranny would work...7189's are Mil-spec el84's so I'd guess that they would...fixed bias...

You could stick a tube driven trem circuit with an extra tube...lol

Add another gain stage?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benoit wrote:I've got an OT and PT from an old organ amp that are spec'd basically the same as a carmen ghia. 2 EL84s, 4 or 5 12ax7s and a rectifier (don't remember which one). Anyway I kind of like the ghias I've played but I'm not 100% sure that's what I want yet. I've thought about a half power rocket or liverpool (or maybe Mazerati GT) but have read that you end up with a less full sound.
If you don't have a "double power" Rocket (4-EL84s) with which to A-B it, you won't know the difference.
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

I'm feeling non-committal on this one. My favorite 18 watt amp is whatever one I'm plugged in to at the moment.

I'll share a trick, though. Ssshhhh! Big secret here, don's pass it around. :lol:

Use an oversized OT for big sound. Say you're using an AC-30 OT. Connect your 8 ohm speaker to the 4 ohm tap, run two tubes. I split load bias for this app so I can pull a couple any time I like. It's not quite as lush as using all four tubes but it's damn close.

Here's another good one. Use a Bandmaster OT. It's supposed to be 4k into 4 ohms which works out to 8k into 8 ohms. Or use the similar BF Bassman OT, same thing, it's 4k/4-8k/8. I go with the Bandmaster OT because I can get original Schumachers as VibroClone cast-offs. The Bandmaster OT is "wimpy" in the context of "bigger is better" w/ 6L6s, it's still more transformer than you need for 2xEL84. In an EL84 application you'll get big tone and more current handling capability than you'll ever need on the primary.
Abstract wrote:Skyboltone built me a 2x7189 Express...I LOVE it. My clips were ridiculed on another board (and got no response here) so I won't link to those...Everyone that's played (heard) it has commented on how nice it sounds...idk.
People are horrendously negative... speaking for myself, of course. :twisted:

Seriously... it's got to be a kick-ass amp if Dan built it. Never mind those naysayers,
let 'em go play their Valve Juniors! :twisted:
Abstract wrote:I don't know if your tranny would work...7189's are Mil-spec el84's so I'd guess that they would...fixed bias...
7189s are an industrial tube similar to EL84s with increased ratings. They work just fine cathode-biased.
benoit

Post by benoit »

Thanks for the ideas.. Casey, I'll have to try overdoing it with the OT sometime but the less my project costs the sooner I get to build it. Already have the OT from that organ amp and plan on using it.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

I'll be following with great interest!

My project will be for this Gulbransen...complete chassis.
2xEL84 also.
I plan on getting tubes in it and going from there.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

If you are using, as I suspect, an old Hammond organ donor, that iron is quite "conservative". As Casey suggests, big iron is the way to go - and that is also what was in the Rocket to which I referred. It was using iron for a EL84 quad, separately biased for each pair, running on two tubes only.

Enjoy. The 2-EL84 Rocket build is plenty toneful - and all the more versatile if you add the "optional" mid control (swapping a 25k pot for the 10k resistor).
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Best sounding 2xEL84 amp I've ever heard is the Snider New Jersey... With a name like that we can all guess what its sonically similar to...

:-)

http://members.cox.net/snideramps/home.html

Best one I own, is a homebrewed 18watt Lite 2; vol knob, tone knob, power, standby. Bitchin tone and dynamics.
Normster

Post by Normster »

I have to second the 18watt Lite 2B. I really miss mine. :cry:
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

I have some trouble getting away from the bass, mid, treble controls and going with a "Tone" knob.
Yet it seems the most touch sensitive amps I have ever played have that single tone control (5E3 Tweed Deluxe)...or no tone control at all.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I only have one EL84 amp. Well two if you count my little Crate Palamino V8.

The other is a Carvin Belair with four EL84's.

It has really nice cleans, incuding all the buzz words, chime, bells, ring, etc.

But the soak channel which is their OD channels is pretty bad.

There are some mods I can do to fix that but that amp has pretty much sat idle since I got my D'Lite 44. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
morcey2

Post by morcey2 »

http://www.schematicheaven.com/bargainb ... ny_415.pdf

A friend of mine has one and it sounds amazingly good. It's kind of like a 6G3 preamp on a 5E3 PA with EL84s instead of 6V6s. I've got a H306 that's similar, but was converted into a 6G3/5E3 hybrid. There's definitely a similarity there. The 415 is brighter as expected.

I still need to talk him into bringing it back over and getting a 3-prong plug put in. He shocked himself pretty good last time he played it.

Matt
jjman

Post by jjman »

My 2xEL-84 amp is a 1967 Harmony H415. 2x12" Jensens (c12q ?)

Great OP tube bias-trem. Very touch sensitive. I paid $60 at a flea market. I've seen them advertised for ~$400 in VG mag at times.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
jjman

Post by jjman »

jjman wrote:My 2xEL-84 amp is a 1967 Harmony H415. 2x12" Jensens (c12q ?)

Great OP tube bias-trem. Very touch sensitive. I paid $60 at a flea market. I've seen them advertised for ~$400 in VG mag at times.
Wow. We just both posted simultaneously about the same (rare) amp. Pretty Harmonious. 8)
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Commercial "big company" Marshall 1974

Boutique built: Basically just an express with EL-84s. Fixed bias, the works. You need to change the PI values. I'm currently experimenting with various vintage OT. When I decide on the best 8000 +/- iron, I'm going to have Phil clone some. Then I'll take Abstracts amp back and put the new iron in.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.