VVR for Fender Twin

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

harryk

VVR for Fender Twin

Post by harryk »

:) A friend of mine asked me if it is possible to use VVR also in tube amps over 100 watts like Fender Twin. I remember that this topic has been discussed somewhere but I do not remember where and when. I have VVR in many of my amps, but at the moment the most powerful is Plexi Lead with a pair of 2xEL34 tubes. All VVR installations work smoothly without any need for extra cooling etc. What does it mean to have a VVR in a Twin? I know that there is not too much sense to put it into a Twin because it should be a all clean sound machine, but my friend wants to have it there. :roll: Harry
Richie

Re: VVR for Fender Twin

Post by Richie »

its not recommended for 100 watters.. i've put them in bassmans,deluxes,supers etc.. also even those,its tricky to find room to mount the extra parts..but it can be done. I know some have been talking about useing double mosfets etc.. but i don't know much abot that,and haven't tried it.
I know there might be a mismatch on the OT..but some pull 2 tubes.. its not much different in volume.. if you did that,you could put in the VVR..
i've also cathode biased twins and just ran 2 el34s.. the amp was still pretty loud..
harryk

Post by harryk »

:) Pulling two power tubes out was also in my mind to reduce output power. I have to discuss with this mate what can be done concerning VVR possibilities. Harry
Abstract

Post by Abstract »

ewww

:P

:lol:

pssst...they have a second channel for that!
Ronsonic

Post by Ronsonic »

For a Twin the tradition is to turn it from a Twin Reverb into a Single Reverb by pulling two tubes and disconnecting one speaker. That gets your impedance ratio back in range reduces power by 3dB and a comparable reduction in speaker efficiency.