Tube Dampers for EF86

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

FunkyE9th

Tube Dampers for EF86

Post by FunkyE9th »

Hello all,

I'm planning my next build. Looking at using an EF86. Any recommendation for tube dampers?

Anyone ever use this... http://thetubestore.com/eat-cooldamper.html

Thanks!

-Ferdie
selloutrr

Re: Tube Dampers for EF86

Post by selloutrr »

I haven't delt with these exact dampers but dampers do help in certain situations mostly hi fi audio.
But not for $35 if you really think you need them check out the weber speaker amp parts page and buy a vibration ring for under a dollar and just make sure the amp has ventilation to cool. i.e. don't throw a packing blanket over it in the desert at high noon while you play at "11".
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
LeeMo

Post by LeeMo »

I just ran across this at 18watt.com. It was drawn by Heink at HBamps.
http://www.18watt.com/files/ef86_quiet.pdf

You can also use silicone o-rings for fuel injectors. I can't remember the size,tho. You can buy them at AutoZone.

LeeMo
I bought a pair of shoes from a drug dealer the other day. I dunno what he laced them with but I’ve been tripping all day,
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

You can also take an 1-1/4" piece of heat shrink tube, dia larger than the dia of the tube, and shrink it onto the top 1/2 of the tube.
billyz

Post by billyz »

I have been using heat shrink for years. I found it works even better than the o rings and cheaper.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

A while ago, I built an AC-15-ish amp with an EF86 channel only. The amp was squeeling a bit, and I was sure it was due to EF86 microphinics. So I bought other EF86's, even Cryo treated ones. And I bought tube dampers. And nothing helped. Then, I did what I should have done in the first place - I went looking for the oscillation, and solved it at the source. And now the amp is fine, with or without the damper. So the moral of the story is : don't even worry about dampers until you know you actually need them.

Good luck!
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

sliberty wrote:A while ago, I built an AC-15-ish amp with an EF86 channel only. The amp was squeeling a bit, and I was sure it was due to EF86 microphinics. So I bought other EF86's, even Cryo treated ones. And I bought tube dampers. And nothing helped. Then, I did what I should have done in the first place - I went looking for the oscillation, and solved it at the source. And now the amp is fine, with or without the damper. So the moral of the story is : don't even worry about dampers until you know you actually need them.

Good luck!

Make sense to me.
FunkyE9th

Post by FunkyE9th »

Thanks all. I will try it without dampers 1st. It looks like I have several more affordable options if I do end up having issues.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Anyone have a recommended ID for o-rings so there not too loose or too hard to put on? (There's no convenient O-ring store next the Radio Shack)
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

When I bought mine, I got them from :

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/

He makese several different types, so you might want to email before ordering. They are very easy to put on and to remove.

Steve
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

http://stores.ebay.com/sandyphotos-Vacu ... idZ2QQtZkm

I use these on all my builds and most of my amps on the preamp tubes. Work great. I even use the EL34 ones in my Express Combo.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I bought some of those from Sandy's photo.
They seemed to help the EL84's in my Belair combo.

The only bad thing about them is if it is a tubes down amp, you can't use the wire tube retainers with the O rings installed.

I should try the Heat Shrink. That doesn't make them run too hot huh?
And does it give off any type of burning plastic smell?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
billyz

Post by billyz »

The Heat shrink does not give off any burning smell. It is designed for high heat. Also, I have been using it for years without any problems. I have it on all the PI and driver tubes in my Conrad Johnson 11a for 4 + years no problems and sounds great.
I first saw them on Mesa Boogie 12ax7's in the 80's . I regularly use it on my V1 tube in high gain amps with out any problems.

Conrad Johnson uses the O-ring dampers in their preamp, but I switched tubes out so much ( to find the Holy Grail) . I ended up with Heat shrink on all the preamp tubes and it works as well if not better than O-rings. a fraction of the cost. you can even use BOTH !
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

Tubes have no problem with heat, shrink tube is the best, and costs nothing-
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

If you choose to use heatshrink make sure it's not the adhesive type!!!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge