Dovetail jig - question

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aurora

Dovetail jig - question

Post by Aurora »

I've been looking around locally for a straight, no frills dovetail jig - something like the cheapest one at Rockler - nothing like the Leigh or P-C with moveable pins.
I find just a few over here - at totally hilarious prices - 300$ and upwards even for a simple one!

OTOH - We have a mill at work I can use...... and the simple ones are nothing fancy, so I was thinking of making one....
Notch width is determined by the collar in use, but what I need to know is pitch, and depth of the notches from tip to bottom... anyone who owns one care to measure??? Inches or mm makes no difference.
Thanks a million in advance!
xk49w

Re: Dovetail jig - question

Post by xk49w »

I wonder if Harbor Freight will ship to Norway. They ship to Guam, other places. There is an international orders link on the customer service page.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34102
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Not sure if Sears does Norway shipping either but they have a much cheaper quallity dovetail tool.

Mark
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Rockler ships to Norway - most do, I think....
Trick is, though, - these thingies are around 15 lbs +/-...
Freight is somewhere between 50-100$ ( Iwas actually quoted 200$ in shipping for a transformer set from one of the Ebay operators).
Add to that 20-100$ clearance handling by the shipping mafia ( no customs - paper handling fee! ) and 25% VAT atop of the sum of everything!
:shock:

Evey now and then I have the opportunity of free shipping through company contacts, but it's one year until next time!
( Last transport brought an ESP EC1000 Ltd for my son..... less than 1/3 of the local price.. BTW any opinions about this guitar? It was what *he* wanted - not my opinion...)
FunkyE9th

Post by FunkyE9th »

I use a Porter Cable Jig for half blind dovetails. They are available at Rockler. I highly recommend Porter Cable. Before I bought the Ported Cable, I checked out the $30 Harbor Freight ones. The harbor freight jig did not look like it was well made.

Also check out the porter cable website. They have videos and tutorials.
malt

Post by malt »

Aurora wrote:I've been looking around locally for a straight, no frills dovetail jig !
You can look at the ones clasohlson got around 1500,-kr . I got the one from devalt expensive, but i have 40% on tools. Guess iv got a tool fetish :lol:
I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past.
Kregg

Post by Kregg »

The Keller 1500 is my favorite no frills dovetail and box joint jig. It seems pricey at 159 USD, but, it comes with two carbide tipped bits. I recommend buying a box joint bit for future projects.

http://www.kellerdovetail.com/models.html
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I've got the Keller. It is simple and idiot proof. Most people can cut a perfect dovetail on the first try. No moving parts. Because of the way it works, you can cut an unlimited length of wood by simple moving the jig along the work, and it is very east to place properly. I think that Rockler sells them. Don't know what your access will be in Norway. Good luck.
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

Try www.woodcraft.com .
They have a basic 12" half blind jig for 59.99.I have seen it in person and it looks like a solid unit.It's called the woodriver half-blind dovetail jig.
I make Custom Furniture,cabinets,wine cellars,ect for a living.I have a Porter Cable 12" setup for Drawer sides and backs.It can be had for 132.99 @ Woodcraft,model # 4210.

Steve
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

Dbl post
malt

Post by malt »

her is the one from clas ohlson 898kr or 130$ , but it's only 275mm wide
http://www.clasohlson.no/Product/Produc ... d=25747659
I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past.
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

I have the PC for half blind dove tails as well as the operator's manual on a PDF. Would you like me to send a copy to your Email addy? If the info isn't listed I'll be happy to measure the various points with a digital caliper.

Be patient though as I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other eye. 8)
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Noel -- you have PM.

skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

xk49w wrote:I wonder if Harbor Freight will ship to Norway. They ship to Guam, other places. There is an international orders link on the customer service page.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34102
I have one of those. Out to about 11.75" (298mm) they work just great and I paid $30 for mine (202 krone).
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Structo

Post by Structo »

You guys ever use finger or box joints?
I saw a tutorial on how to do this on a table saw.
They don't interlock like a dovetail would but should be plenty strong when glued.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!