Something good out of something bad

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

selloutrr

Something good out of something bad

Post by selloutrr »

I just wanted to take a moment and give props where they are due.
After so many horrible experiences with customer service it's refreshing to have a good experience!

I had a mesa boogie stiletto on the bench with a bad power tube.
while the last el34 (closest the to the rectifiers) of the sixtet power tube set was starting up on the standard test cycle of the amplitrex.
With about 10 seconds to go on the one minute warm up count down... out of no where the screen started to flicker and click (parts blowing up) a couple times and sparking as it began to smoke!
I quickly unplugged it, removed it from the bench and put it in a safe location in case it was going to continue to burn.
To be honest it was kind of cool but it was gut wrenching to think of the cost of repairs.
I freaked out a little and promptly sent chris at amplitrex an email explaining what happened and requested an RA# and to have him call me.
In the morning I was pleased to see a response from chris explaining he was swamped with work and might not have a chance to call me that day but to just send the tester back for repair.
I boxed it up as the website instructed and took it to the local shipping store near my house. they wanted $100 to ship it less then 200 miles from my home! Even in my gas sucking truck it's less then $40.

That night I sent chris an email asking if it would be alright for me to drop it off in person due to the cost. $200 in shipping both ways was painful. He was happy to accomodate my request and also suggested I try shipping directly with Fedex.
I'm not very good with shipping people so I sent my wife, she is a far nicer people person and was able to get the tester shipped, fully insured, and tracked for $48.
Chris emailed me when it arrived and in less then a week had it in the mail with a tracking # at no charge!
I can't say enough to express the level of commitment chris has to his business he's always been prompt, professional, and willing to answer any question i've come up with. It's not often you recieve the same high quality customer service after you buy a product, as the sale pitch they give to get your money.

The tester came back this afternoon good as new and on spec.

If you want a great tube tester buy an Amplitrex AT1000. I know it's not cheapest but the customer service more then justifies the cost!

Thanks for reading
My Daughter Build Stone Henge