My Very First Ever Build AA764 Vibro Champ. (Cab is here)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tribi9

My Very First Ever Build AA764 Vibro Champ. (Cab is here)

Post by tribi9 »

Hi everybody I'm fairly new here, I posted a few questions a few months ago. I've been reading a bit about amplifiers and electronics and decided to take a shot at building my own AA764 clone.

So I placed an order for this kit from here...

http://store.triodestore.com/vibrochamprebuild.html

[IMG:800:510]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... 0025-1.jpg[/img]

You can get it with either orange or Mallory caps. I got it with the Mallory's 150's. They're only charging me $20 to ship to Canada which is really cool.

Also im in the process of buying this Cabinet from a member from another forum. It is a mid 70's Vibrochamp cab as you can see.

[IMG:799:535]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... champ1.jpg[/img]

I've yet to buy is the chassis, the straps, the tubes and the speaker

The chassis and straps Im thinking ll just pickup this...

http://store.marshamps.com/product_info ... cts_id=278

And add the Blackface faceplate. Has anyone here built a Champ using this chassis?

For speakers I'm open to suggestions.

For tubes I'm going to see this local guy and pick from a stash of NOS tubes he's got, hopefully I can score something nice.

I just placed my order a few hours ago (In their confirmation email they say to request or ask for anything you might want to change so I inquired about...

A transformer upgrade.

Some Blackface style knobs

Vibrochamp on/off switch (I don't see it in the picture with all the parts)

If there are suggestions/tips you guys might have. Feel free to let me know.

Cheers

:)
Last edited by tribi9 on Mon May 25, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DonMoose

Re: My Very First Ever Build AA764 Vibro Champ. (Cab is here)

Post by DonMoose »

I think the VC's power switch is just a Fender 'Bright' switch. OTOH, your chassis vendor sells a VC kit - they will probably sell you the (correct) switch.

Hope this helps!

(post photos of your progress, please)
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

Thank you, I will.

I like Fender vintage amps, hopefully I can learn lots and eventually try something a little more difficult.

We'll see how it turns out.
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

I got some tubes now.

These are the very first parts I got for my build. Nothing else has arrived yet.

I hope they make the amp sound nice.

6V6GT Japanese Marconi...

[IMG:800:600]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... C01709.jpg[/img]

5Y3GT Canadian RCA

[IMG:800:600]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... C01705.jpg[/img]

12AX7 RCA USA, Webcor USA.

[IMG:800:600]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... C01710.jpg[/img]

All used but test strong, so I saved a few bux. :)

All I need to grab is the speaker now, and I'm done shopping for parts. Im inclined to go with the Weber 8A125 but I'm also searching for a vintage Jensen 8" 4 ohm (Good luck on that one...) :-\
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome to the forum... :P

Kidding, I guess nobody is too interested but hey at least the thread is getting read.

I guess I should do a quick introduction, maybe that will get me some replies. :)

I'm iin my mid 30's, live in Canada. Fender gear fan, Have been playing guitar since High School. I happen to think The Beatles are the greatest band of all times. Have no formal electronics training. I'm just one of those guys that learns a little bit about everything. I had posted asking for some suggested reading material, well I have done some reading and think Im ready to attempt building the Vibrochamp.

Cheers

Now I got a quick question, hopefully one of you guys can help me out...

Would anybody know if a 10" speaker would fit on a Vibro-Champ? I'm thinkng of going with the Weber 10A125 and getting the baffle cut somewhere. (I don't have the proper tools to do it,) plus I want a decent job as well.

I dont want to cut the baffle, order the speaker and then find out it won't fit. I just think a 10" would sound so much nicer on the amp.

Cheers

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a pic of my main guitar. This used to be a Squier Classic Vibe Duosonic.

The only thing left from the original Duosonic is the body. Complete overhaul. I refinished the body, neck and slightly aged the neck, hardware, upgraded electronics etc.

[IMG:800:600]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... C01698.jpg[/img]
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I would have a new baffle made not cut/modify the original then if you don't like it you can switch back.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Get the speaker before you cut the baffle. You need to make sure the speaker basket will clear the transformers and whatever else might be in the way. A 10" should fit.
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

Phil_S wrote:Get the speaker before you cut the baffle. You need to make sure the speaker basket will clear the transformers and whatever else might be in the way. A 10" should fit.
That's what I was thinking. I read somewhere that you can cut the hole slightly off center and it should fit.

Thx
selloutrr wrote:I would have a new baffle made not cut/modify the original then if you don't like it you can switch back.
Yes, that would be ideal but this is a Silverface cab and it's got the dado joints and it's glued. I would have to completely rip it out, wouldn't I?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nice build you have going and welcome to the forum. I like your guitar as well and yes the Beatles are the cats meow. :)

I went the other way with my Fender build. I had a Deluxe 90 with new 4 ohm Celestian 12 inch. The amp as repaired three times and after all the hard years of use I threw the solid state components in the trash. I ordered a custom fit chassis from a guy on ebay. We worked together to get the chassis sized right and he new alot about chassis sizes.

I think your right about having to cut the board you have as it may not be removable. I have cut holes with glued in boards using wood blocks the same thickness from the board to the outside edge of the amp. That allowed me to keep the jigsaw level and cuts very easy. Move the blocks as you go around making the hole. I would have a 10 inch speaker to use as a template and for fitting purposes. Someone must have a used one sitting around.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Sounds like a good excuse to leave it stock and build another cab or amp! Stereo?!!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

M Fowler wrote:Nice build you have going and welcome to the forum. I like your guitar as well and yes the Beatles are the cats meow. :)

I went the other way with my Fender build. I had a Deluxe 90 with new 4 ohm Celestian 12 inch. The amp as repaired three times and after all the hard years of use I threw the solid state components in the trash. I ordered a custom fit chassis from a guy on ebay. We worked together to get the chassis sized right and he new alot about chassis sizes.

I think your right about having to cut the board you have as it may not be removable. I have cut holes with glued in boards using wood blocks the same thickness from the board to the outside edge of the amp. That allowed me to keep the jigsaw level and cuts very easy. Move the blocks as you go around making the hole. I would have a 10 inch speaker to use as a template and for fitting purposes. Someone must have a used one sitting around.

Mark
Thx for the info. Is there a thread on your amp build? Pictures of the guts and the back?
selloutrr wrote:Sounds like a good excuse to leave it stock and build another cab or amp! Stereo?!!
I wish I wasn't so broke cuz I definitely wouldn't mind twin champs..
tubeman

Post by tubeman »

Nice looking components.....You might consider buying a cheap tubes for start up / debugging...Hate to waste a nice tube on the first power up...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

tribi9

I haven't started my Fender build yet finishing up my Asteriod right now.

Mark
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

tubeman wrote:Nice looking components.....You might consider buying a cheap tubes for start up / debugging...Hate to waste a nice tube on the first power up...
Mmm. that's a good idea. Get some cheap ones in case I mess up something.

Mark,
Cool I'll look for that thread, I need to read as much as I can.
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

Update...

So I got my board from Triode Electronics. Everything looked ok. Started populating the board and notice after I had already soldered a few components that they sent me a champ and not a Vibrochamp turret board. I emailed them and they're going to replace the board and the components. :)

It took me a while to id the resistors, I realized after I could have just tested them on the MM. (Rookie mistakes hahah) :oops:

I also picked up a lead bender to have the components look as neat as possible. I hope to learn lots so I can get good mileage out of the lead benders. It was $13 to have those fuckers shipped from Hoffman Amps to Canada. :(

So far it seem it should be pretty straightforward. I might run into an issue or two and hopefully you guys can help me out)

Also I decided to go with a 12" speaker on a custom cab.

One question for you guys.... What wires should be twisted?

Thx

[IMG:800:600]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... C01859.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... C01863.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271 ... C01866.jpg[/img]