Bias Ground and Signal Ground

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChrisM

Bias Ground and Signal Ground

Post by ChrisM »

Trying to finish up a Deluxe Reverb I have been working on for the past eight months (on and off).

I installed a long ground bus of 14AWG copper wire. All the cathode grounds and other grounds from the eyelet board go to the buss. The grounds from the pots also go to the buss. Seems standard practice.

The buss is bolted to the chassis in two places. One bolt is to near the input jack and it is insulated with a plastic washer. The other end is bolted to the chassis at the PT. It's bolted there along with the heater CT. Good or bad? I could isolate that side and make the ground near the input jacks? I have seen that done before and apparently that's good.

I also have my bias supply ground connected to the grounding buss. Is this good? I was thinking it should maybe have its own separate ground on the an unused PT bolt.

Final question. I decided to go for non isolated input jacks. Is the reason people like isolated better simple because f the jack slowly becomes loose you don't lose your ground connection?

Thanks!