Installing eyelets in boards?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tdale

Installing eyelets in boards?

Post by Tdale »

I tried this for the first time today. I haven't bought the tool for this, but I made a similar device, using a screw and a file. It works ok, but my eyelets have a tendency to break in 2 or 3 places, in stead of just flairing nice and even all around. I think they'll stay in place, so it's not a problem really, but it doesn't look that nice..

Any tips?
Normster

Re: Installing eyelets in boards?

Post by Normster »

I've seen spring-loaded eyelet setters at craft stores, but haven't tried one. I use a 3/16" punch (ground to a 45 degree point) chucked into my drill press.
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

and the eyelets flair fine, without cracking? I hammered in stead of using a drill press..that might be a reason..

Tommy
Chris G

eyelets

Post by Chris G »

Hi Tdale,
I use a large penny nail to flair the bottom open,just alittle so the eyelet stays in place. I then use a ballpeen(spell?) hammer to round them over. I do this on a table saw so I have a nice flat surface to work on. They will distort alittle but not bad and they stay nice and tight when I'm done.
Chris G
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

I use the same kind of sharpened bolt as mentioned before. I have learned to press them in against a piece of pine (or other softwood) so the top surface of the eyelet is not deformed by being pressed against a hard surface. (They get flattened and just don't look right.)
glasman

Post by glasman »

If you have a place near you that sells scrapbooking supplies they normally carry a small tool that is made to be tapped with a hammer. They are about 1/4" in diameter with a rounded tip.

I stole my wifes and I chuck it up in my drill press. I can set a board in just a few minutes.

Another trick (you may already know this one) is to install all of the eyelets and hold them down with painter masking tape. Now you can flip it over and press the eyelets.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

I made the board, using my home-made tool, a screw that I filed to about 45 degrees at the tip. It works, although the eyelets cracked here and there, but that's on the back side. They all stay in place, that's the important part.

I discovered, after finishing the board, that putting all in place, and taping them, would make things alot faster..I'll remember that :) I'm also about to order garolite from the company you recommended. Is the garolite the exact same material as the other boards are made of (www.turretboards.com, hoffman etc.)?

I also started soldering some of the parts....I just couldn't help myself, even if I don't have all the parts yet. It's my first time with board building (only point to point so far) and I love it. I had a hard time unplugging my soldering iron and stop for the night.

A question. When you guys put the parts in their place, and solder. do you also solder the wires at the same time? Like the wires that go the the plates, pots etc? This leavs quite alot of wires hanging, but I curl them up, so they aren't all that messy..

Tommy