Two channel hybrid build. Twin Reverb + Atomic 16

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

soma_hero

Two channel hybrid build. Twin Reverb + Atomic 16

Post by soma_hero »

I want to put together a simple combination between a Fender Reverb vibrato channel and something like an Atomic 16 (maybe even a Trainwreck style preamp).

While I could just have two independent channels and mix them at the PI, I want to have reverb on both channels. I'm not sure of how to do this properly.

Here's how I imagine the amp going right now. One input jack, using MOSFET SSR switching to select which tube grids are grounded to change channels. Both channel outputs (the three stage high gain side and the first two stages of the Twin side) will then go through the third stage of the normal Twin Reverb schematic. This will allow both channels to go through the reverb tank. Does this sound like it would work?

That gets me thinking though. The vibrato channel on the Twin Reverb has three stages. There's a 3.3M resistor between stages 2 and 3. Instead of having a separate higher gain channel could I just use the Mosfet switching to adjust cathode bypass values and remove the 3M3 resistor? This would certainly bump up the gain from the normal Twin Reverb vibrato channel.

What do you all think?