Can we talk about Speakers? But first a story.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Can we talk about Speakers? But first a story.

Post by skyboltone »

Years ago, in my salad days, when I was green and carefree and the calves sang to my horn....

I used to pester the hell out of H Alexander Dumble at his little shop on E Cliff dr. in Santa Cruz. I was horsing around with a little solid state practice amp (the first pignose had just come out) trying to make something sellable. It died on the vine.

Anyway, Howard built me an amp based on a Fender Rhodes piano amp (4- 6L6s). He did put his OD circuit in there. Anyway it had a 2 ohm output tranny and I used a single 8 ohm Altec 417-C 12" speaker. It was by far the best amplifier I've ever had. But I sold it years ago to pay rent or some such triviality. Since those days I've mostly waisted my life with a career. Now I'm semi retired. :mrgreen: 6 Saturdays a week.

I'm going to build up the Hybrid Amp rev A. With EL-34s. It needs to be absolutely tiny. I live on a boat. Some suggest that when you turn the Hybrid A down the tone is still there. That wasn't true of that very early one I had. '74? If it's too loud on the boat I'll make some sort of dummy load to run with it. Many more questions about that subject later.

Now, the 417-C was the cat's whiskers in those days. I understand now that some EV, Celestion, and Eminence (sp?) are the hot ticket. The Altec was very bright, having as much to do with the impedence mismatch to the 2 ohm secondary as anything else. Hadn't an amp ought to be voiced to the speaker anyway?

Are any of you using this classic speaker in any amp?

That, anyway, stands for an introduction to me. This is one heck of a great bunch of people. Maybe the last of them for all we know.

Dan Hall
Sausalito is my home. The Alaska Pipeline is my temporary (called out of retirement) work assignment. Inspection Services.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
fred_farkel

Altec

Post by fred_farkel »

what a great story. As for the altec's, long ago a friend of mine built me a clone of a Fender Twin Reverb. Side by side you couldn't tell one from the other untill you played them. The amp built for me had two altec 12's that were built by the fellow who built my amp. He worked for Altec at the time and told me that he had put 15 inch magnets on to a 12 inch frame or something like that. I wasen't a tech at that time ether so I couldn't really say but I can tell you this, that thing would sing like no other. Those speakers moved from amp to amp with me and I still have them today. I'm sure they need a reconing as I haven't used them in years, I'm afraid if I have them rebuilt they will loose "that" tone. They still work but I have them stored away. The altec's are some of the best sounding speakers I ever heard, clear and bright, but thats just my opinon. You take care and thanks for sharing.