Fender modded to true "vibrato"?Can make channels

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sidehatch

Fender modded to true "vibrato"?Can make channels

Post by sidehatch »

I'm wondering if its possible to make my pro reverb into real vibrato ala magnatone? If so can you point me to direction that I can have my tech do or possibly myself.

Also, how to make both channels in phase.
Thanks
sidehatch

Re: Fender modded to true "vibrato"?Can make channels

Post by sidehatch »

In case you are wondering what Im wanting to do, I wanto to make the trem ala the first fender concert amps or the magnavox amps where its not trem but vibrato.

Can this be converted easily?

I also wish to make both channels in phase.

Thanks!!!!!

Shane
benoit

Re: Fender modded to true "vibrato"?Can make chann

Post by benoit »

sidehatch wrote:I'm wondering if its possible to make my pro reverb into real vibrato ala magnatone? If so can you point me to direction that I can have my tech do or possibly myself.

Also, how to make both channels in phase.
Thanks
I know this is actually about tremolo and not true vibrato, but you should check this out, it's a good read.

http://www.terrydownsmusic.com/technote ... rcuits.htm
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

sidehatch wrote:In case you are wondering what Im wanting to do, I wanto to make the trem ala the first fender concert amps or the magnavox amps where its not trem but vibrato.

Can this be converted easily?

I also wish to make both channels in phase.

Thanks!!!!!

Shane
I don't think either Fender of Magnatone achieved "true" vibrato -- more of a multiple frequency, phase-shifted vibrato -- but pretty cool sounding.

Can this be done? Yes. Can it be done easily? No.

It will require at least one additional tube (and probably one triode more if you want the channels in phase, but don't want the trem/vib effect on both). I doubt there's room for more sockets.
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

Thanks! I guess I'll just pick up a cool vibrato pedal
loverocker

Post by loverocker »

Yes, from memory, it uses 2.5 valves and has a LOT of circuit to go with them. Not at all easy to retrofit.

But it does sound lovely - I have a '62 brown Vibrasonic with it and it's really sweet.
in the wilds of Borneo, and the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, move their bodies to and fro...
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If you're really in a DIY mood, go to geofex.com and search for "Fender Pro Vibrato". He's got a couple of plans for solid-state versions of this, suitable for pedal construction.

W
Merlinb

Post by Merlinb »

Have a look at the Vox AC30 schem, it has a true vibrato channel. (It works on the same principal as the Magnavox, but with more conventional components). Needs at least 5 triodes to do though!