Help pick a build project

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MBD115

Help pick a build project

Post by MBD115 »

I'm stuck. I have 2 amps in mind and only the $$ to build one of them.

18 watt Head Kit. 2xEL84. http://www.mojotone.com/item.asp?pid=86 ... id=5550009

OR

JTM45 watt Head Kit. 2xEL34. http://www.mojotone.com/item.asp?pid=88 ... id=5550007

The $$ is about the same for either build. My needs is about the same for an amp. Which will offer me the most BANG for the buck in "quality of tone" and "useful overall player delight". Will that JTM45 sound that much better than the 18watt clone? Which would a "true to the bone - tube tone snobb like me" be the happiest with? :D

I only play alone and at home and will probably need an airbrake with either amp to crank it up much. lol

Thanks guys. I just need help with this gas attack I've been having.
Structo

Re: Help pick a build project

Post by Structo »

If I had to choose between those two I would go with the JTM45.

While 18 watters sound cool and have there place, the 2 EL34 amp is just going to have more ballz and heft to the tone.
Of course it depends how you speaker it but the JTM gets my vote.

I had a home built 18 on my bench a while back and since I had never played through one, I gave it a good work out.

Gets plenty loud for a small club but seemed a bit thin and of course that can be tweaked but for bang for the buck, you can't beat two EL34's on the verge or thermal nuclear meltdown. :lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
MBD115

Post by MBD115 »

I like how you think!!!! :D (my fears exactly)

2x12 - G12H-30???

or

2x12 - G12M-25???

???
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

JTM45 will probably give you more. It will "do" something close to the 18W grind, but has a lot more clean headroom as well as raw volume.

In the end, it depends what you do with it. I built a JTM45 a while back, but hardly ever plug it in because it's too loud. I don't play out, and at home it makes the windows shake. It also happens to be one of my favorites for tone.

As they say, YMMV.
Kregg

Post by Kregg »

JTM45 gets my vote!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe
Jana

Post by Jana »

Given your concerns and range of choices, this would get my vote:

http://metroamp.com/store/product_info. ... cts_id=331

According to their specs, you would have about 400 volts B+ which means you could use 6v6's in this amp if you wanted to. It is about a hundred dollars more than the mojo kit but I think the quality of the Metro kits more than makes up for it.
myfoot

Post by myfoot »

+1 I've built 4 Metro kits and the instructions are top notch. Lots of help on the forum as well. If nothing else you can download the build instructions and follow that. Not sure how close the mojo is to metro but probably help a lot.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I would go with the Metro kit as well.

Speaking of kits Weber has added so many new kits its crazy but I never have seen one of his and heard so much bad but if you go to forums people like them? Crazy amp world we live in.

Anyone try a Marsh kit? I see that have a new Blond Bassman kit coming out besides the amp they can build for you.

Mark
MBD115

Post by MBD115 »

Thanks everybody. You guys are the greatest!!!!!

I've looked at the Metro kits and I guess I was trying to save a little $$ by wanting to go with Mojo. The only difference I see is that Mojo uses different transformers (they say "their brand") and Mojo says they include some of their Dijon caps (which I don't like that well). I do think that Metro offers the best kit and will probably just go with them. I've got their manual already downloaded and it looks very good. I think I can build this amp. lol

I guess my need is more gas than necessity. I used to play in bands and all but that was over 25 years ago. Last year I decided to get back into playing at age 54 and its been hard I must say. My current playing ability doesn't deserve a new amp (already have 2 amps) but I don't like to play an amp I don't like the sound of. I have 2 modern amps and have modified both of them seeking that tone but to no avail. Although I feel my mods has helped them they are still not giving me the real tone I seek. I don't like playing when all the while I am adjusting knobs and DSPs trying to get some decent sound out of this modern day crap. :D

Again, you guys are the greatest bunch of guys on the net. I'm glad to be here and I'm glad to have you guys to help me!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try and order my head kit this week. Metro IT IS !!!!! :D

You guy are going to haft to help me out because I'm a doob. :oops:

Thank you all so very much for your kind help
Last edited by MBD115 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Don't beat yourself up too much about whether you "need" another amp or deserve it, or how you've lost your chops. When you get the amp done, you'll want to play more and you'll find your chops.

As for Metro or Mojo, you'll do fine with either one. Don't sweat this one. If cash is tight, you won't be sorry you got the Mojo.
MBD115

Post by MBD115 »

Hay thanks, but you haven't heard me play lately. :D

I'm going to order that Metro kit and you guys are going to haft to help me get it working (which I know you will ). :shock:
MBD115

Post by MBD115 »

Which parts???

Transformers:
Metroamp Drake replica transformers
or
Mercury Magnets +$140.00

Caps:
Mallory 150's
or
SOZO +$15.00

Cabinet:
Black
Red
White
Purple

Help me!!!!

[edit]

I think the default transformers should be fine.
I know I like Mallory 150's, but I think the $15.00 upgrade is probably worth the SOZO's.
My wife thinks Purple is the color for the amp. I tend to agree. :D (as usual).

What do you think?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I would go with the Sozo caps and use the Metroamp Drake replica transformers unless you got the extra cash for the Mercury trannies.
A lot better players than me say the Mercury transformers are the best. That I do not know as I have only used Heyboer, Edcor and Pacific.

That should be a fairly straight forward build and lots of fun to build and play. By the way I am 53 and have gigged all my life and glad you picked it back up again. Build the amp, get some friends your age to start a band and play out. :) We are all 53-54 in my band so we use the name the Relics, then I found out there are so many bands called the Relics its crazy. :?

Mark
Last edited by M Fowler on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jana

Post by Jana »

The metro transformers will be just fine. They have spent a lot of time and research getting them to be correct.

As for the color, well that is the most important part of good tone. Here is what Randall Aiken has to say about it:
Q: You claim purple tolex sounds best. What about green and other colors?
A: Here is the standard tonal color hierarchy:

Purple: the most high tone, to be played only by those secure in their manhood.

Red: can sometimes sound as good as purple, and can be played by anyone, even those not secure in their manhood.

Orange: a rare tone, not often found. Ideally should be elephant grain, although these are seldom heard in the wild, except in old 70's Marshalls. Orange levant is a close substitute, and it is available nowadays. Rough-grain orange "nubtex" is below black in terms of tone, and should be avoided, unless your amp company name is "Orange". If your amp company name is "Orange", you should consider changing your tolex to elephant grain, to make it more readily available to those of us who want to use it without having to custom-order five 50-yard rolls.

Green (dark blackish green only, not that lime crap): Plays well with gold-paneled amps, imparts an "elegance" to the tone, and can be played in all types of bands, including wedding gigs and jazz clubs, so it is a versatile color. This color coordinates well with older players who are feeling their oats and want to step out a bit from basic black, and make a fashion statement without appearing to make a fashion statement, and for those afraid to stand out too much by playing a brighter color.

Fawn: a very seldom used color, it can sound very good, but again, only on an amp with a gold faceplate.

White: what can you say about white? It's white. White has no color, but it still sounds better than black, so there.

Black: your basic tone, the standard by which all others are judged.

Pink: to be played only by girls, or those secure in someone else's manhood.
Source, http://www.aikenamps.com/
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Phil_S wrote:Don't beat yourself up too much about whether you "need" another amp or deserve it, or how you've lost your chops. When you get the amp done, you'll want to play more and you'll find your chops.

As for Metro or Mojo, you'll do fine with either one. Don't sweat this one. If cash is tight, you won't be sorry you got the Mojo.
MBD115, Phil makes an excellent point. Before I got into ampbuilding, I had never owned a really great tube amp. As the years moved on, I had sold my rig (man, I miss that '72 4x12 Marshall cab), hadn't played with a band in a long time, let my chops kind of slide, and really missed playing music. Then one day after being largely where you are now, I thought "why not build an amp?" It was the answer to being able to get killer tone but not go bankrupt doing it. And rediscover the joy of loud music! ;-)

Having a hand made amp (especially one you made) is inspirational in itself and will motivate you to practice. Besides that, you will have <i>far</i> better tone than you can buy and for half the cost. Back in the day, I had a bit of effects and while I still love chorus and delay, now I play mostly just guitar plugged straight in. I can get some crushing tone with my 6V6 Plexi for instance. Also, playing a touch sensitive amp straight up is an eye opener and a bit of a rude awakening at first. I had to really get back in touch with being able to control the guitar. It's always a work in progress, but I'm certainly a much better player now and it's such a blast to have an incredible sounding amp.

So, don't lament your chops or get paralyzed by amp choice, follow your heart and your heroes and get your kit! Oh, and I would go for the Metro JTM kit. You can always build the 18 later, but that JTM will put a grin on your face for sure. Good luck dude.