Adding tremolo to an amp

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tdale

Adding tremolo to an amp

Post by Tdale »

I've been looking at the 6G16 vibroverb schematics, to learn more about tremolo.

In that specific schematic, the bias voltage is set by a resistor, in stead of being adjustable with a pot. The tremolo works by using a intensity pot to alter the bias voltage.

In other designs, there is a bias pot as normal, but the tremolo does not adjust the bias of the output tubes, but connects to the PI in stead.

My question is: Is it possible to use a normal pot-adjusted bias supply, like the ones we use in the Dumble clones, and still use the 6G16 tremolo (intensity pot that adjusts the bias up and down)?

I would think it would work, since the only difference is that the bias is set with a pot in stead of a fixed resistor...

Tommy
Moose

Re: Adding tremolo to an amp

Post by Moose »

Resistor is a resistor, as far as the circuit is concerned. There's no reason a trimpot can't be used to replace a bias R.

I secretly think fender used a resistor instead of a pot for cost and reliability -- cheapest part they knew would last.
statorvane

Re: Adding tremolo to an amp

Post by statorvane »

Hi,

New here. If you want to read about bias modulating tremolos, here's some pretty good info http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/tremoloCircuits.html.

FWIW, I just got done adding one to a AX84 P1 eXtreme. It is based on a schematic from a Kalamazoo circuit, another SE amp. After modifying a few component values - works great.

Hope this helps.