New amp design - no transformers, auto everything concept

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Cantplay

Re: New amp design - no transformers, auto everything concept

Post by Cantplay »

It would be interesting to hear. I'm interested in how it behaves with the master volume down.

Milbert/Berning have always made good products that don't follow the cookie cutter patterns of other brands. I have a couple of their car amps, and nothing else comes close.

John
teemuk

Post by teemuk »

There were clips on the site about a year ago (could have been more, I can't remember anymore) and the GAGA sounded like any other tube amp in them. Basically the clips were about the same ol' solo noodling with high gain tones, and to be frank, quite a many amps can do that convincingly, even all-solid-state ones. So, the clips didn't really make me go "wow" but they didn't make me think it's a bad amp either (tone-wise). All in all, it just sounded prtty standard... which, I guess, might even be a good thing.

I wonder why the clips got taken off and never got replaced with other ones. This scene is thirsty for clips. They are pretty much mandatory.

I think that thing is still on a prototype stage and judging by the pics they have taken the project forward from the stage I last seen it since the thing is starting to look like a real commercial product now, instead of a untidy metal chassis with some knobs. The site updates (or at least used to) somewhat frequenty but it's still quite a mess.

I think the real problem of that amp might be that it in the end is just a tube amp running to a switching MOSFET output and for many in the scene switching and solid-state are curse words. When this amp appeared I made a notion it might succeed better as a bass amp, both because of its characteristics, which are quite ideal for low frequency amplification, and because it is a hybrid and the bass guitarist scene gives such a much warmer welcome. I still believe it. Marketing that thing on a large volume to a bunch of conservative guitarists isn't going to be easy. A lot of them don't hear with their ears, if you get my drift.
MilbertCom

Post by MilbertCom »

GAGA available since Dec 2011

GAGA D-60 (domestic mains, 60 watts max output power) available since April 2012

Clips and jams from Jun 2012 NY Amp Show
http://milbert.com/gaga#clips

Pigtronix used GAGA D-60 in their Ultimate Pedal Demo video (toneking.com)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKsShJhKDI