1969 Fender Twin bypass caps

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

C Moore

1969 Fender Twin bypass caps

Post by C Moore »

Just wondering if any of you guys consistently use smaller than 25uf for the preamp bypass caps? I am rebuilding a Twin for a local player, and too much bass response has been her only "complaint", regarding her tone with this amp.
So I was thinking smaller value bypass caps might be a good way to tame some of the "boominess" she experiences. Would appreciate opinions/advice from you guys.
Thank You
jaysg

Re: 1969 Fender Twin bypass caps

Post by jaysg »

On one hand, that's a big part of the BF sound and the Bass knob is how you control it, on the other hand, it's all fair game. Some will use 5 or 10uF, others 0.68uF with a 2K7 cathode resistor. Have at!
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes, you can go smaller on the bypass caps and also the coupling caps between stages.

The bypass caps seem to have a bigger effect but between the two you can really tailor the tone to your desire. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I swapped out the fist stage bypass with a .68uF to drop some bass. It was very effective, still plenty of bass but easier to adjust as it's not overwhelming.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

As usual, good advice form all.
And that was her thing, not to have the bass knob on zero; but to have enough left over to get some adjustment. Something about turning the knobs all the way down just seems to make the amp sound dead.
Thanks Again
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

The design of the Fender tone stack makes it suck tone as the controls go toward zero, so tweaking their range is pretty common.

Some of my Fender guys like me to change the tone cap values on one channel, too, so each channel has its own voice. You can move the 220k mixing resistors to the input side of the 3m3 verb resistor, thus placing both channels in the verb. Some like that, some don't, as some like a dry channel.

The great thing about front-panel Fenders is how easy they are to mod and de-mod. Great amps for helping guitar players get "their" tone.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower