I need someone to build a solid state amp for me, please!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mgcasella

I need someone to build a solid state amp for me, please!

Post by mgcasella »

This is my first post and I know you guys are all about tube amps but...I was told in other forums to come here for help.

I have an idea for a solid state amp that I want built. It is basically a clone with some extra features and I am told it is doable. The only problem is, I have no idea how to build amps so I want someone to do it for me.

If it is relevant, I play metal and, yes, I could pay for your time :D

Please PM with your contact info or post places I can go for help.

Thanks!
benoit

Re: I need someone to build a solid state amp for me, please

Post by benoit »

mgcasella wrote:This is my first post and I know you guys are all about tube amps but...I was told in other forums to come here for help.

I have an idea for a solid state amp that I want built. It is basically a clone with some extra features and I am told it is doable. The only problem is, I have no idea how to build amps so I want someone to do it for me.

Thanks!
I don't know of anybody around hear building solid state amps but you're more likely to get mileage out of your query with more info.

What ss amp do you want a clone of? What do you want it to do? Why does it need to be ss? Etc...
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
selloutrr

Re: I need someone to build a solid state amp for me, please!

Post by selloutrr »

contact bob rissi he is a pioneer in solid state

check him out at risson amps
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
mgcasella

Post by mgcasella »

It would be a clone of an Ampeg VH-140C minus some original features (such as the chorus channel) and plus some more modern features.

I want it to be ss because I am looking for a good and cheap(ish) amp design. I want to experiment with my idea/design but, the only problem is, I can't build it :(

I found someone on the ssguitar forum that was really interested and then he flaked out on me, which is why I am here. I figured if any forum could point me in the right direction then this one could.
benoit wrote:
mgcasella wrote:This is my first post and I know you guys are all about tube amps but...I was told in other forums to come here for help.

Thanks!
I don't know of anybody around hear building solid state amps but you're more likely to get mileage out of your query with more info.

What ss amp do you want a clone of? What do you want it to do? Why does it need to be ss? Etc...
mgcasella

Post by mgcasella »

Thanks! I just emailed him and I'll keep you all posted.

selloutrr wrote:contact bob rissi he is a pioneer in solid state

check him out at risson amps
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The SLOclone forum guys build lots of PCB amps.
benoit

Post by benoit »

mgcasella wrote:It would be a clone of an Ampeg VH-140C minus some original features (such as the chorus channel) and plus some more modern features.

I want it to be ss because I am looking for a good and cheap(ish) amp design. I want to experiment with my idea/design but, the only problem is, I can't build it :(
I checked out some clips of the VH140C, and as much as I'm not personally a fan of solid state tones, it'd make a pretty brutal rig for heavy stuff.

What features would you like to add?

Looks like these amps go for dirt cheap on eBay, might be a lot less headache to just pick up an original.

That said, it's always fun to formulate an idea and see it all the way through to completion.

Good luck!
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
mgcasella

Post by mgcasella »

These things are definitely awesome when it comes to heavy stuff, which is why I want to play with the design.

The guy on the ssguitar forum actually had the preamp for the Ampeg ss150 built as a project for a class he was taking. He rigged it up to a nice solid state power amp and he told me it sounded MUCH better than an original ss150 that he owned. This is why I would like to rebuild the VH-140C.

Also, I one of the features I would like to add is a second mid control knob. Hence, one knob for high-mids and the other for low-mids. The Randall T2 has this feature. when I first looked at its control panel I thought "Whatever, this is a useless feature" however it actually is really nice when playing heavy music.

benoit wrote:
mgcasella wrote:It would be a clone of an Ampeg VH-140C minus some original features (such as the chorus channel) and plus some more modern features.

I checked out some clips of the VH140C, and as much as I'm not personally a fan of solid state tones, it'd make a pretty brutal rig for heavy stuff.

What features would you like to add?

Looks like these amps go for dirt cheap on eBay, might be a lot less headache to just pick up an original.

That said, it's always fun to formulate an idea and see it all the way through to completion.

Good luck!
mgcasella

Post by mgcasella »

Just put out a thread - thanks!
M Fowler wrote:The SLOclone forum guys build lots of PCB amps.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Your welcome I was out there tonight myself, some very nice amps there.