Repairing Crate GT15? NO OUTPUT

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

anewme

Repairing Crate GT15? NO OUTPUT

Post by anewme »

ok i know its not a tube amp. but i get NO output from my little Crate GT15. i get the power light, i tried using a diff. speaker, i tried plugging in my ipod to the "cd input". so i've determined its not the input channel, cuz the ipod would run on a diff channel... so! any ideas what it might be? thanks
Patrick
M Fowler

Re: Repairing Crate GT15? NO OUTPUT

Post by M Fowler »

Is the amp chassis opened up right now? The pilot light is on but are there any other fuses inside the chassis?
sliberty

Re: Repairing Crate GT15? NO OUTPUT

Post by sliberty »

In a no sound situation, I usually use an audio probe, like the one that Weber describes in ne of his books. I plug a signal source (iPod, CD player, whatever) into the input, and probe through the amp, starting at the input jack, until the sound disappears. This will help you isolate the stage that is not working.

The probe is really just a capacitor taped to a chop stick, with one end of the cap exposed for probing inside the amp, and the other end soldered to a wire that is connected to the tip of a 1/4" or 1/8" plug. You also need a sire attached to the ground of the plug with an alligator clip on the end. You plug the plug into a known working amp (or even powered speakers), and clip the alligator clip onto the chassis of the amp being tested.