Missing 2-prong power cord

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bentonar18

Missing 2-prong power cord

Post by bentonar18 »

I am doing a restoration on a Magnatone M7 tube amp and can't find a power cord. It uses an old-style 2-prong removable cord like a lot of stuff from the 60's. Anyone know where I can buy one? Yes, I should convert it to a 3-prong, but I don't want to cut a hole into the cabinet; no other way to change it over. Thanks.

John
Structo

Re: Missing 2-prong power cord

Post by Structo »

Not sure I follow.
Does it go through a strain relief type thing into the chassis?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Kinda like this, but not exactly? This is a modern one; I doubt they are compatible with the old standard.

MPM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

While the choice is yours, IMHO, 3-prong is a necessary safety-related update that I wouldn't omit. You can buy a very nice 8' 3-prong 18-3 or 16-3 extension cord with molded plug in places like Target for under $5. Cut off the socket end and feed the thing through the existing hole with a strain relief thing. If you can't do that, tie a knot on the inside and insulate the chassis hole with a rubber grommet. If you can't use a strain relief, use a zip tie. It is possible that you might have to drill out the diameter of the hole slightly, but it is worth your life to do it. I think you are making a bad call for the wrong reason.
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

If you're worried about shavings inside the chassis - I build a cup of blue painter's tape inside where I need to put (or enlarge) a hole. Position the chassis so the shavings hit the sticky - or turn the chassis in that direction after drilling - and viola, no loose debris when you remove the tape.
bentonar18

Post by bentonar18 »

Guys, thanks for the suggestions; I am choosing to avoid cutting a hole if possible, and trying to maintain the "vintage integrity" of this piece. It's not be played as much as appreciated... sorry, I'm getting a bit anal about it. I know the safety issues; I've converted power cords before and understand perfectly well why you do this.

If any of you know where I can get that exact cord, please respond. Otherwise I guess I will just have to cut the friggin' hole in the side and neaten it as much as possible... oh, well.

John
mojo2001

Post by mojo2001 »

One standard type of 50s-60s two prong is called a "cheater cord"

Have a look here:

http://www.ceitron.com/passive/acords.html

If you have a pic, maybe I can be more specific.

If you want to run two prong, make sure you remove the "death cap" or replace it with one rated for across the line service.

Some of the old two prong styles have a three prong vesion that will fit in the same cutout...but who knows where to get the panel mount male...again, need to see a pic.
ampdan

Post by ampdan »

I recently did a conversion on a Magnatone M18. On this one, the 2 prong part is removeable. I only had to enlarge the hole very slightly, and I used one of these snap in 3 prong outlets. Can't tell it was changed.

http://www.mojotone.com/s.nl/it.A/id.959/.f
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

try tubesandmore.com

antique electronic supply in mesa AZ. they stock all sorts of older radio style parts as well as tube amp repair. prices are pretty fair.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

You'd be surprised what you can find at Frys. I found all sorts of generic power cords for irons, toasters, etc. that were all different types of 2 prong removable cords. Also try Apex Jr. They have a ton of old stuff and surplus stuff from all eras.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!