ohm's law #2?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

darmandude

ohm's law #2?

Post by darmandude »

OK, how about an amp with only one 16 ohm speaker output, and wanting to run two 4 ohm speakers? Now what can I do?
Building things with our hands comes from the artistic and imaginative force in our mind.
Reeltarded

Re: ohm's law #2?

Post by Reeltarded »

It's a tube amp? See, 4x2 can = 2 or =8, but not 16.

You could wire in series and get 8, and mismatch by 100%. It doesn't suck the life out of most anything I have ever done it to, I think.
darmandude

Post by darmandude »

No, its not a tube amp. I think I'll have to get two more 4 ohm speakers to make it work. I havent built a cab for the speakers yet so adding two more wont be a big deal, I guess. :x
Building things with our hands comes from the artistic and imaginative force in our mind.
benoit

Post by benoit »

darmandude wrote:No, its not a tube amp. I think I'll have to get two more 4 ohm speakers to make it work. I havent built a cab for the speakers yet so adding two more wont be a big deal, I guess. :x
You could probably get rid of those speakers on ebay and buy some 8 ohm speakers too, if you want a two speaker cab.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

An SS amp with only 16 ohms output? What amp is this??
darmandude

Post by darmandude »

It's an old Yamaha Hundred412 thats been taken out of it's original cab and turned into a head unit. For many years I thought it was a tube amp (thats what I was told from who I got it from), and I thought I saw metal covers over the tubes, but only 2 tubes. It never did really sound like a tube amp. Well just the other day I tore open the amp, those metal covers are caps not tubes. Oh well, it's still 100 watts! :?
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

With SS amps if you run too low an impedance speakers you may starve the power supply and risk some hard clipping. Old Yamaha stuff was pretty bad with this issue. I blew some pretty nice PA speakers by running 4 ohms on an 8 ohm yamaha powered mixer.

I'd say don't do it.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

GIven Bob's bad experience, I'd get some other speakers too.....

OTOH- designing a SS amp for 16 ohms only, and the PSU so bad it won't cope with say 8 ohms, is pretty uncommon, at least outside the guitar amp arena. Do you have a link to a schematic?
darmandude

Post by darmandude »

No link to the schematic.