Two amp questions for you, Watts and Stages

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

SGSlidedawg

Re: Two amp questions for you, Watts and Stages

Post by SGSlidedawg »

jaysg wrote:
SGSlidedawg wrote:I wonder why Fender would choose to use a 12AX7WA (V1) for Vols 1&2? I find it really interesting when comparing (schematics) how each manufacture is different from another.
I believe the reason is that they're idiots. They know full well that V1, V2, and V3 are supposed to be 12ay7s and that Eric Clapton is the number one reason people are interested in that model. They have all the data on his 3 amps, but choose to ignore it.
You're absolutely right!!
what were once vices are now habits
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

M Fowler wrote:SGSlidedawg,

The Fender type reverb kit is at this site notice there is also a layout there towards the bottom of the page.

http://triodeelectronics.com/diy-fender ... b-k15.html
Thanks Mark! I like how they laid this out. I do have the schematic that Structo has. I'll make a comparison on the resistors and Caps to see if they match with Fenders Schematic.

Ed
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Also Weber http://www.tedweber.com/ has kits you can look at as well.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

SGSlidedawg wrote:For my first project, I'd like to keep it simple and make a Fender 63' reverb tank for my Bassmann LTD.
The stand-alone reverbs are cool. I scratch-built one last year to use with my tweed amps. That pentode driven spring reverb sound is miles better than any other type of reverb I have heard. Plus they are not too difficult at all. You just have to be careful about your ground return paths, (minimise potential ground loops), and make sure you use transformers that are totally shielded and fitted with steel covers all over, so that they don't 'share' their EMI around. (This is especially true for the RT)
SGSlidedawg

Post by SGSlidedawg »

tubeswell wrote:
SGSlidedawg wrote:For my first project, I'd like to keep it simple and make a Fender 63' reverb tank for my Bassmann LTD.
and make sure you use transformers that are totally shielded and fitted with steel covers all over, so that they don't 'share' their EMI around. (This is especially true for the RT)
Thanks for the info!! I was going to purchase the Fender Transformer. The exact same model used in the unit itself, Part number: 012671. What about shielded wire. Did you use any?

Thanks
Ed
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

SGSlidedawg wrote:
Thanks for the info!! I was going to purchase the Fender Transformer. The exact same model used in the unit itself, Part number: 012671. What about shielded wire. Did you use any?
I used shielding from the input to grid pin of V1a - this was a '2-bit' cable, so it was in two parts (see pic) with the shield of each part grounded via an eyelet on the main board that was connected to the ground return, and also another shielded cable from the dwell pot to the other grid of V1b. FWIW I used a custom tranny with a FW SS rectifier (2 x 1N4007s on each side with .01uF 3kV snubber caps - which quietens it down quite a bit). The HT winding was 240-0-240 @100mA, (but 60mA would work fine, because the reverb driver only idles at 25mA or so)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.