Grounding PT iron?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

j-po

Grounding PT iron?

Post by j-po »

Does grounding the PT iron to the chassis (i.e. no paint in between) reduce buzz or is it only a safety measure? Thanks for your replies in advance guys.
David Root

Re: Grounding PT iron?

Post by David Root »

Never thought of that. I would hazard a guess that if doing that DID reduce buzz/interference etc., it's a pretty crappy PT to begin with. It doesn't hurt to ground the PT iron to the chassis, just in case.

Decent PTs have an electrostatic shield between the primary and secondary windings. This shows up as an additional wire that you ground to the chassis. Sometimes you will see a copper strap around the laminations, sometimes both. OTOH, many good transformers don't have either.
David Root

Post by David Root »

double post, sorry.
Last edited by David Root on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Your have an itchy trigger finger David? :lol:

Yeah I'm not sure about that either but isn't the ground wire usually grounded to the core or frame. I don't know.
Then the mounting bolts may ground it anyway if the chassis is bare metal on the inside.

It does seem like it would improve shielding if it was grounded.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
David Root

Double Post

Post by David Root »

I asked Omar about these double posts, he said it happens with the new software. I must be doing something to trigger it but I have no idea what.
David Root

Double Post

Post by David Root »

I asked Omar about these double posts, he said it happens with the new software. I must be doing something to trigger it but I have no idea what.
David Root

Post by David Root »

See? It's beginning to p**s me off.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

David, your just to fast for this website, slow down a hair. :)
Structo

Post by Structo »

Are you double tapping the submit button?

Another forum I was at was sluggish on the post and users would sit on the submit button and sometimes there would 6 duplicates. :lol:

They changed servers and also updated the software and it won't even double post anymore.
Same software brand as this forum....

Also I notice on this forum users can't delete a post right after posting which is also something this software is able to do. But I think you have to enable that function.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

I was wondering if the folks with the double posts have their mouse configured to double-click with each left click? That's an option so you only have to click a desktop icon once to open it. I thought it might be carrying over to the 'Submit' button for some reason.
David Root

Post by David Root »

I think what I'm doing is clicking the back to forum link BEFORE my message displays. IIRC you had to click on the link to see it in the old software, now it pops up automatically, so, yes, I have an itchy trigger finger!
benoit

Post by benoit »

David Root wrote:I think what I'm doing is clicking the back to forum link BEFORE my message displays. IIRC you had to click on the link to see it in the old software, now it pops up automatically, so, yes, I have an itchy trigger finger!
I do the same thing all the time, but I very rarely get double posts, I think it must be something else.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery