Anyone use teflon wire

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aurora

Re: Anyone use teflon wire

Post by Aurora »

That's the one we use.....although mine has black handles and cost about 300$ over here!!!!
On several other fora, though, I've seen reports of the cheaper ones working OK with teflon....
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

$300 wow.

Reminds me of those CG ferrel nut drivers for switches they cost what $35 at the parts houses and my cost is $7.95 what a racket.

Mark
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Unfortunately that's quite the normal picture.......
once the stuff get's ferried across the pond, prices have often increased by 50-100%... :cry:
OTOH - we sometimes use Mouser et al, and other internet operators, sometimes to save some cash, or to get stuff the larger wholesalers over here just don't have.
International shipping has gone through the roof, though, so it just isn't always as lucrative as one may think......
and in the bussiness I work, there's also this strange animal named ITAR......
Just pay the bill and smile...... <stiff grin>
xk49w

Post by xk49w »

I think I was mistaken :shock:

I just got home to check and the blades for my Ideal stripper are L-5560 and L-5561 which are for the Custom Stripmaster, 45-177,45-187. These are the Type E Teflon with the counterbored holes. The blades are around $80. The stripper is around $175. That said, the one I mentioned earlier is not likely to do the job on teflon wire.

In my defense, actually its not much of a defense, I did not buy but rather sort of inherited it. :mrgreen:
KT66

Post by KT66 »

I always use PTFE wire in my builds and never have a problem stripping it with the cheap stripper I bought at Radio Shack. As others wrote, I cut it with the stripper and pull off the jacket with my fingers. Apex Jr. has the best price by far, but I admit I don't like the kinks that get in it from is measuring tool.
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com