High Plate voltage on 6L6GC

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JD0x0

Re: High Plate voltage on 6L6GC

Post by JD0x0 »

greiswig wrote:
I'm using a pair of KT88s in my D'Lite build. I like them a lot. I did have one Winged C go south on me with only 100 hours or so on it, though. Currently using a pair of Pentas that sound great.
What transformers do you have in there? I'm going to use KT88's for my custom build and i'm still not 100% on what trannys i should use
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

JD0x0 wrote:
greiswig wrote:
I'm using a pair of KT88s in my D'Lite build. I like them a lot. I did have one Winged C go south on me with only 100 hours or so on it, though. Currently using a pair of Pentas that sound great.
What transformers do you have in there? I'm going to use KT88's for my custom build and i'm still not 100% on what trannys i should use
Twin-style Heyboer OT, and stock D'Lite PT. No issues with current draw. The only thing I changed was to install a switch for the grid resistors when switching back and forth between 6L6 and KT88/6550 types. See http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... reen#70401 for a lengthy discussion of the matter.
-g
drz400

Post by drz400 »

danotron wrote:I am building an amp with a donated traynor PT. I am getting a plate voltage of 530Volts. I am assuming that this will kill 6L6GC's. Is there a meathod of lowering the voltage to 450? Should I switch to EL34's? If so the screen can only take 425v....how would I lower the voltage before it hit the screen? :roll:
You can run a small transformer as a buck wiring out of phase in series with the secondary, it will subtract, maybe a 30V will do. Or slap in power scaling and put a stop limit on it.
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

greiswig wrote:
JD0x0 wrote:
greiswig wrote:
Twin-style Heyboer OT, and stock D'Lite PT. No issues with current draw. The only thing I changed was to install a switch for the grid resistors when switching back and forth between 6L6 and KT88/6550 types. See http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... reen#70401 for a lengthy discussion of the matter.

Thanks man! that was really helpful
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
j-po

Post by j-po »

drz400 wrote: You can run a small transformer as a buck wiring out of phase in series with the secondary, it will subtract, maybe a 30V will do. Or slap in power scaling and put a stop limit on it.
Wouldn't the row of zeners route be much easier?