OT on Dr. Z Stangray

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

live-i-evil

OT on Dr. Z Stangray

Post by live-i-evil »

Hey guys, long time lurker and absolute n00b member with a question I was hoping someone could help me out with. I was wondering what output transformers the Dr. Z Stangray uses. I have a home built one coming in that could use a new OT. Since it's pretty much a clone of an AC30/4 I was thinking about the MM Woden clone or maybe even a JMI but the site says that it was designed by Mr. Fischer. With all the Trainwreck junkies here I figured someone would be able to help me pick one out. Toneslut, dynaco? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
M Fowler

Re: OT on Dr. Z Stangray

Post by M Fowler »

The Stangray uses 4k 4,8,16 40watt.

But I would just use the same OT as the Rocket which is the Dynaclone A-470-S 35w 4.3k 4,8,16
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

ya, I would go with the dynaco a-470 as well. Triode electronics carries them
anything worth doing, is worth doing right
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

WHat does the tone control on the Stang Ray look like? Is it a rotary switch selecting coupling caps, or something else?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The tone control is not a rotary control. Has volume, tone and cut for front panel.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Thanks. I actually had the schem, and had forgotten.

The power stage is similar enough to the Rocket, that I woudl have to agree with the others - the DynaClone would be a great choice.

The preamp stage reminds me of the AC15 copy I have built (well, 3 of them actually), except that it has a more traditional tone pot instead of the rotary switch coupling cap selector (which I really like actually).

The BOM says Cin Tran 3229 PT and 3428 Choke, but I haven't had any luck finding specs. Any ideas?
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Did Frank ever say what iron he used? Anyway, not knowing much about the amp, I'd go off of what it sounds most like. It looks like an AC-30, but there's a range of OT iron there. Seems like you could probably do it better than the original.

[edit]After looking at some gutshots and other info, it appears to me that the power transformer is the Trainwreck design. It's probably an Express PT with a 290 - 290 secondary. Using a 5U4B brings B+ down from where it would otherwise land. That leaves me suspicious that it's a TW style OT also...ymmv. hth
Last edited by jaysg on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Some of the guys that have been building the Stangray clones have been talking with me since I own a Z Stangray and verify voltages as needed.

I have used it for 2 1/2 years straight for gigging without any problems and a fantastic tone throught open back 212 celestion blues. It was worth every penny I paid for this amp. Never touched any of my tubes either and some times that can be a good thing for us guitar players leave the tubes alone and play.

I now use my Rocket and 18watt Spitfire to get a lower stage volume with tone and some times those two don't mix well in a gigging situation. :)
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

I built this AC30/4 with a few modifications to bring it into modern times (higher filtering & a few other value tweaks) --> http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=623882

I used this schematic as a guide --> http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/vox/ac34ef86.pdf

Anyway, I used the HTS-8093-1 OT and really like it. I excluded the tone control as well. I've built a few of these in the past and I think the tone control is not necessary. My Tone control is nothing more than a 3 position rotary switch to change caps to thicken it up or thin out the sound. I also have a 2 position bright switch (48pf & 330pf). These along with the Cut control is all the tone this amp needs. It's really a great amp with lots & lots of Vox character.

Back to the original question, most of the MM I've used sounds really good so I don't think you can go wrong.

Yeah, I am trying to sell this because there's a real sweet piece of Mahogany that just happens to have a couple P90's in it that I HAVE to have!!
live-i-evil

Post by live-i-evil »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, really helpful. I think I'm gonna go for the dynaclone A470S. I can't wait to get into this thing.

@fzfwyv, that is a damn purdy build and I would love to own it if I could get my money straight. sounds righteous as well.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

One more note on the A-470-S dynaclone

I believe both Toneslut and rjguitars carries these varients as well besides Triodestore.

Mark
andrew

Post by andrew »

Do you run the OT ultralinear?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I do not but you sure could if you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
live-i-evil

Post by live-i-evil »

Sorry to resurface the thread guys but I was wondering what the advantages of getting a dynaclone version as opposed to the dynaco version are. There's a few sets of original Dynacos on eBay right now at a reasonable price, anything to keep me from getting them? Also, what difference would I see from running it ultralinear or not? Sorry some more absolutely noob quesitons and thanks.
FYL

Post by FYL »

what the advantages of getting a dynaclone version as opposed to the dynaco version are.
The Dynaclone A-470S is an evolution of the Dyna A470, with more robust windings (the Dyna had a tendency to short turns with highish primary current) and PTFE-coated output leads (the originals had either cloth- or PVC-coated leads). It's IMO a more reliable OT.
There's a few sets of original Dynacos on eBay right now at a reasonable price, anything to keep me from getting them?
Most have very short leads and come in unknown internal conditions - they haven't been tested by the sellers.
Also, what difference would I see from running it ultralinear or not?
UL can be interesting with EL34's and shines with KT77's. I don't find it worth the bother with a quad of EL84's in Voxen clones.