Dr Z Invasion power transformer

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

azatplayer

Dr Z Invasion power transformer

Post by azatplayer »

Hey guys, i recently traded a Maz Jr for an older Invasion. I hated it at first but with a little tweaking its become a good deal.
I ordered a PT from Heyboer to sway over as this is a US import and im in Australia. Git the trannie a while back, just getting to replacing it today.
What ive discovered is its a Schumaker trannie.
Whats interesting is it has a tagstrip that receives both primary wires to it then sends them to the switch, fuse and fan and lamp.
The interesting part is it has a twisted pair on either side soldered together.
This coupled with the code stamped on the bell which in part has 240 in it.
Maybe its a multitap primary? I measured across the primary leads on the replacement and get 4.1ohms. On the wires in the amp as they are presently wired i get 2.2ohms.
It has a black wire and grey wire at one side with a orange and brown at the other side.
I unsoldered the orange and brown the measured from each wire across to the remaining still soldered black/grey combination.
From the orange to the pair i get 4.5ohms, from the brown to the pair i get the magic 4.1ohms.
If i disconnect them all i get about 4-5meg from any one to another.
Ive used Hammonds in the past and remember having to join like 2 halves of the PT's windings together to go from 115 to 230V, seems similar.
The later Zess have cintrans, this is maybe 10 years old so the different iron.
Anyone come across this at all? Would be excellent if i can save the new PT for another project! Im a little excited as i can put the new trannie to another build as i have an OT looking for a home!