Project idea for cleanish amp using Fender Bassman RI PT

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chopstuck

Project idea for cleanish amp using Fender Bassman RI PT

Post by chopstuck »

Looks like 365-0-365 but I don't know the amperage. I was thinking of maybe an AC50 channel and something else, - maybe a champ pre ? I figure those el34's like voltage right ?

I have been all over ef86 Vox land, Stang land Rocket-land, Spitfire land and Lightening land and have a appetite for something new.

Suggestions ?

Don't tell me to go to Iceland..... Holland ....etc
Heavens, an unused PI input !
rhinson

Re: Project idea for cleanish amp using Fender Bassman RI PT

Post by rhinson »

chopstuck wrote:Looks like 365-0-365 but I don't know the amperage. I was thinking of maybe an AC50 channel and something else, - maybe a champ pre ? I figure those el34's like voltage right ?

I have been all over ef86 Vox land, Stang land Rocket-land, Spitfire land and Lightening land and have a appetite for something new.

Suggestions ?

Don't tell me to go to Iceland..... Holland ....etc
i assume you mean a tweed bassman reissue trannie. it's the hv sec is around the 200ma+ mark, plenty good for lots of 2-6l6/el34 amps. perfect voltage range for a komet , hiwatt 50watter, slo clone, jtm45, etc. will probably give you about 475-485vdc under idle load with ss rect, depending on tubes and biasing. tons of things you could build. ac50's a good choice too. if you want to use a big internal imp. rect. tube and drop the voltage down a bunch, then there's lots of other options, too.
rh
chopstuck

Re: Project idea for cleanish amp using Fender Bassman RI PT

Post by chopstuck »

Yes, it is a Tweed Bassman RI PT. I have a bunch of 5U4's and was thinking of using one to tame the voltage. I had been using these a decade ago to build Supers and 5E7 Bandmasters. The voltages with the 5U4 was about 450 DC. I have been trying the zener method on other amps with success for about -50v.

The Komet is an interesting idea. I have what I think is a schematic for the preamp. What is the power amp section like ? I understand if the design is still not up for posting but is there an existing design that would be quite similar ?
Heavens, an unused PI input !