120v pilot lights?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

120v pilot lights?

Post by Phil_S »

I've gotten into a disagreement with someone over whether use of a 120V (or 240V) pilot light wired in parallel to the PT primary is an acceptable practice. I am not seeing the problem with doing this. To me, this is the same as the convenience outlet we see on some amps, except the lamp is on the cold side of the power switch.

I recognize that the most typical practice is to use a 6.3V lamp. I'd ask to set that aside, as that isn't the question at hand.

This place seems to have lots of intelligent and well informed people. Can anyone here shed some light on this? It would be really good if there was some standard like UL or CE or even a guru who "wrote the book" saying this is an acceptable practice.

If it is problemmatic, what is the problem? Why should this arrangement be avoided?

Thanks.

Phil
mlp-mx6

Re: 120v pilot lights?

Post by mlp-mx6 »

There is no problem at all. I have wired 120V neon bulbs right to my DPDT power switch with no problems at all.

I cannot speak to any UL or CE certification guidelines, but I do see products (like our coffeemakers at work) that have neon bulbs in them, and I can only assume they are 120V as well.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

This was common practice when neon lamps was used as indicators. The lamp was often wired across one of the 110V windings in gear that was switchable/convertible between 110/220 V. The only problem is that you have a pair of wires carrying 110V AC inside your chassis - which you have already feeding your PT....... provided safe wiring practice is followed, I can't see any problems, as long as it's kept away from the preamp side....
I don't know if there's any US code prohibiting this, - although most indicators these days are mostly LEDs or low voltage lamps......
ampdoc1

Post by ampdoc1 »

What's the disagreement about? Safety issues, or is it related to their use adding noise/hum?

ampdoc
dano-rator

Post by dano-rator »

I would think most solid state gear would have 120v neon lamps or such, I know my Randall does, as well as my MusicMan.

As Aurora said, just don't weave the wires through the preamp capacitors. :)
Oo De Lally
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

I use 120VAC neons exclusively, for two reasons.

1. They have long design lives--like 10,000 hours.

2. If the 6V bulb dies with a flare up, it can take the fuse with it. Given that probably 99% of guitarists don't carry spare fuses, it makes sense to eliminate a "gig killer."
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
Structo

Post by Structo »

Neon in parallel here. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

ampdoc1 wrote:What's the disagreement about? Safety issues, or is it related to their use adding noise/hum?

ampdoc
Safety and appropriate use.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Thanks, everyone. This is what I keep thinking. I think I'm dealing with someone whose elevator doesn't go all the way up. I just needed some "comfort" on the matter and you've given me that.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Well, there is a conclusion to the argument.

After much nonsense being spouted, he states his real issue on the matter of 120V pilots. He says that people expect to find a 6.3V bulb. If the bulb blows (unlikely in my view), some rube will put in the wrong bulb (like they can't remove the old one and get one just like it). When it blows up, he says they'll stick a screw driver in there to remove the base and get electrocuted. I suppose there is more than a grain of truth in in his argument advocating against the practice of using a replacable 120V bulb, but this seems almost silly to me. (Certainly, the pilot units that have built in limiting resistors and non replacable bulbs are better when you consider this.)

How on earth would your average guitar player even know the voltage of the bulb? And any sensible person would unplug an appliance before sticking a screw driver in it. Considering the 120V pilot is on the primary side of the PT, it is totally isolated from the filter caps, so that's not a consideration. Eh, go figure?
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Do you have a replaceable neon bulb? Most neon pilot lights I've seen are non-serviceable units.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I am inconsistent in what I use lately it has been neon 120v, bayonet 6.3v, and 120v bulb type.

Phil your right a sensible person would not have a problem but we all know what that story can end with some people. :)

Mark
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

The man is right, we live in a consumer culture.

"consistency is the hob-goblin of the simple mind"

The less the average American has to think about the better.
I'll wager that if you asked everyone you meet today, " how does a light bulb work?"
you'll be hard pressed to find someone who says more than just "you turn it on".
lazymaryamps
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

mlp-mx6 wrote:Do you have a replaceable neon bulb? Most neon pilot lights I've seen are non-serviceable units.
They make them. You have to wire the socket with a limiting resistor or it will toast the bub and probably the fuse. The truth is, it is not really a very good arrangement, but it does work. There are also simple incandescents, but they are getting harder to find.