Any prayer of bias tremolo scaling with a VVR?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bear

Any prayer of bias tremolo scaling with a VVR?

Post by Bear »

The extra triode stage in the Rocket (lean and mean topboost AC-30 circuit) just begs to be used for a single-triode bias trem like in the Matchless Hurricane and Tornado. Even built at half strength with just a pair of EL-84's, a VVR would really help keep things quieter around the house. What would rock my world if the two circuits would play nice.

I suspect that there would be issues with the oscillator scaling. My non-technical guess would be to leave the oscillator out of the scaling, but to scale the bias signal to the cathodes with a (mildly tweaked?) version of the Fixed-Bias VVR circuit.

Any experience/knowledge/thoughts/insight? Beyond "get a trem pedal"? Once it gets to trem oscillators, I'm completely hopeless to get what the circuit is doing in normal times, so any help I can get is a lot.

Bear
UR12

Re: Any prayer of bias tremolo scaling with a VVR?

Post by UR12 »

Bear wrote:The extra triode stage in the Rocket (lean and mean topboost AC-30 circuit) just begs to be used for a single-triode bias trem like in the Matchless Hurricane and Tornado. Even built at half strength with just a pair of EL-84's, a VVR would really help keep things quieter around the house. What would rock my world if the two circuits would play nice.

I suspect that there would be issues with the oscillator scaling. My non-technical guess would be to leave the oscillator out of the scaling, but to scale the bias signal to the cathodes with a (mildly tweaked?) version of the Fixed-Bias VVR circuit.

Any experience/knowledge/thoughts/insight? Beyond "get a trem pedal"? Once it gets to trem oscillators, I'm completely hopeless to get what the circuit is doing in normal times, so any help I can get is a lot.

Bear
Bear

Have you tried hooking it up to regulate the whole amp? The oscillator will change a little in frequency as you lower the voltage but it hangs in there pretty good at reduced voltages until you get to very low settings and at that point the sound coming out the speaker is so quiet that you don't notice the trem anyway. Give it a try . It is always easy to unhook it if it isn't your cup-o-tea.
Bear

Re: Any prayer of bias tremolo scaling with a VVR?

Post by Bear »

Haven't tried yet nor got the stuff going to try it in. Hoping to fund a build in the new year, so I'm trying to narrow down what is in the realm of the possible. I was heading towards a Rocket with VVR, anyway, so I'll probably just try to do an auxiliary breadboard to try the trem out if it's not a ludicrous chance.

Thanks!