Capacitor Testing

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: Capacitor Testing

Post by Structo »

I am not familiar with what coupling caps that amp came with but for example, the blue molded caps on blackface Fenders are prized for their tone, so you should check them out before removing them. :wink:

Film caps can last a long, long time.

I was looking into the VT-22. Apparently it is the same circuit as the V4 except it has 2 x 12" speakers.

Those are some good old work horse amps, with a respectful following so I would try to talk them into trying to preserve the amp so it can last another 25 years. :D

[img:600:783]http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/graphics/ampegVT22.jpg[/img]
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
roadkingbluzs

Post by roadkingbluzs »

Trying to help but they are on a budget. Any thoughts on Bias schem?. Thanks Bob
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

this might help get you going with the bias mod the red thingy's are resistors and the weird circle is a pot center lug is the wiper.

** NOTE **
you may want to use a 75K pot and a 30~K resistor in series with the wiper. so you can cover close to zero- ~ - 105K for your bias range. by bridging the factory bias resistor you place it in parrallel with the pot so as you increase the resistance of the pot you are actually lowering the over all resistance but never less then the 30~K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by selloutrr on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
roadkingbluzs

Post by roadkingbluzs »

Thanks fellows, moving foward, and I am now on look out for a capwizard. Bit pricey, but seems like the ticket. I may post a few items for sale that are just sitting around to meet the budget for this item. Hey Paulster, got pics and will have my son load these tonight or tomorrow, not sure of quality. First camera crappy so I borrowed another seems better. Looks like there may be a new camera for the wife come Xmas! :wink: Bob
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

if you go with the cap wizard splurge and get the surge protection $20 will save your investment if you slip or get tired.
roadkingbluzs

Post by roadkingbluzs »

Structo wrote:I am not familiar with what coupling caps that amp came with but for example, the blue molded caps on blackface Fenders are prized for their tone, so you should check them out before removing them. :wink:

Film caps can last a long, long time.

I was looking into the VT-22. Apparently it is the same circuit as the V4 except it has 2 x 12" speakers.

Those are some good old work horse amps, with a respectful following so I would try to talk them into trying to preserve the amp so it can last another 25 years. :D

[img:600:783]http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/graphics/ampegVT22.jpg[/img]
If I remember I will try and actually weight this thing when reinstalled back into combo. Owners took the Altec X2 cab. for lack of space. Great pic :lol: P.S. Structo regarding your avatar.....DEJA VU!! :shock:
paulster

Post by paulster »

roadkingbluzs wrote:Hey Paulster, got pics and will have my son load these tonight or tomorrow, not sure of quality. First camera crappy so I borrowed another seems better. Looks like there may be a new camera for the wife come Xmas! :wink: Bob
Bob

Thanks a lot for doing this. It will be great to have one of these beasts completely documented so I can add one to my collection sometime!

Paul
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

schematic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roadkingbluzs

Post by roadkingbluzs »

Yes Paul, it would likely be a small fortune to ship something like this over to you. I own combo's, Princeton, Vibrolux Reverb, Vibro Champ etc. but this VT22 is a COMMMBO!! paulster I will try sending a couple of test pixs, not happy with results. I am waiting for parts so I will concentrate on better quality shots.
Selloutrr, I will take advice regarding the cap wizard and bias info ,thanks gents. Bob