uneven filter caps

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HiGain

uneven filter caps

Post by HiGain »

Most of the time I see the B+ electrolytic filter caps as being equal in value, e.g., two 16uf, two 20uF, two 40uF, etc.

Is there a reason for this? And, is it OK to use uneven caps, such as a 20uF and a 30uF electro cap?

Thanks guys,

Jake
ApexJr.

Re: uneven filter caps

Post by ApexJr. »

If this helps I sell quite a few of these caps to amp builders and there
not prime values. I've been selling 22 Uf 450V and 33 Uf 450V
So it shouldn't make a difference.

Steve @ Apex Jr.
stoo

Post by stoo »

I bought a 50/50 uf 500v and a 30/30 uf 500v. I used one 50 and a 30 (80 total) for the B+. The other 50 for the screens and the last 30 for the preamps .. NO problems.
stew
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

OK, there is a BIG difference in how you pair the caps. If you stack them, they should be equal in value (excepting for tolerance). (The voltage equalizing resistors should be equal in value also.) If you parallel them, any combination is fine.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

mlp-mx6 wrote:OK, there is a BIG difference in how you pair the caps. If you stack them, they should be equal in value (excepting for tolerance). (The voltage equalizing resistors should be equal in value also.) If you parallel them, any combination is fine.
Why, what's wrong with stacking (I assume you mean in series) caps of different values? From a uf value standpoint, it's just (x*y)/(x+y), as in with parallel resistors. Is there some parasitic thingie problem?
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

This is due to the currents being delivered, and the purpose of the balancing resistors - indeed, the purpose for stacking caps in a power supply. Usually this is done because the supply voltage exceeds the rating for one cap. The purpose of the resistors, then, is to balance the voltage across the 2 caps so that they see approximately equal differentials. When one caps is larger it is harder to maintain that balance across the resistors, due to the current differentials to/from the caps. Perhaps if the resistors were scaled similarly (but inversely) it could work. I must admit I've never tried that.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...