65amps SoHo

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

neon333

65amps SoHo

Post by neon333 »

Where does the SoHo fall in the Vox-Matchless spectrum? It's a nice sounding amp and one I'd like to try and emulate in a build. I like the idea of a single input ef86 and the bump circuit is kind of interesting. The 6 position rotary switch is for volume and not a tone notch like other Vox/Matchless variants out there. And I suspect the tone knob on the bump circuit is a simple global hi-cut control.

Cheers
topbrent

Re: 65amps SoHo

Post by topbrent »

Here are some gut-shots of the Soho
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

Thanks a lot for the pictures. These are the clearest ones I have seen yet.

I built an amp using the basic circuit derived from the discussion over at the Hoffmann forum. The amp does not have the bump circuit yet but its a great sounding amp so far.

Cheers Stephan
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

I did not realize 65 amps were all point to point like that. I know their amps are fairly expensive, but I do not think I have ever heard a negative comment about their products.
I was fortunate to be able to speak with Peter Stroud at Winter NAMM during a long lull in the chaos. That company seems to make good use of his studio and road time where R&D is concerned. He tends to get overlooked when guitar gods are mentioned (I imagine because of who he plays for), but I was duly impressed with his playing and knowledge. Thanks for the gut shots.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

I did not realize 65 amps were all point to point like that. I know their amps are fairly expensive, but I do not think I have ever heard a negative comment about their products.
I was fortunate to be able to speak with Peter Stroud at Winter NAMM during a long lull in the chaos. That company seems to make good use of his studio and road time where R&D is concerned. He tends to get overlooked when guitar gods are mentioned (I imagine because of who he plays for), but I was duly impressed with his playing and knowledge. Thanks for the gut shots.
Deric

Post by Deric »

Ditto on the "guts". 8) Been interested in this amp for a while...
Deric®
10thTx

bump control

Post by 10thTx »

Anyone have an idea on how the bump controls work?

switch, tone & level ?
neon333

Re: bump control

Post by neon333 »

10thTx wrote:Anyone have an idea on how the bump controls work?

switch, tone & level ?
TopBrent, Thanks for the gut shots:)
There are several threads on this on the Hoffman forum but for a novice like me they are somewhat esoteric and wandering. There are three things that make this amp attractive to me (besids the tone):
1) Single channel w/ef-86 input
2) Bump circuit-seems to switch the amp to another tone stack.
3) Either it's a vvr or something truly new in terms of a master volume
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

Here is the bump circuit I've implemented on a few amps. It works very well.
There are several threads on this on the Hoffman forum but for a novice like me they are somewhat esoteric and wandering.
I wouldn't call any of the discussion esoteric, but wandering yes. That's because there were tons of ideas that were tossed back and forth to try to cop the essence of 65's design.

Here is a link to a tune I recorded with an amp I built which is an amalgamation of all the ideas on the Hoffman forum and what I could glean from the photos Top Brent posted.

http://mixcraftlive.com/index.php?t=pop ... ng_id=1799

Craig
neon333

Post by neon333 »

CraigB wrote:Here is the bump circuit I've implemented on a few amps. It works very well.
There are several threads on this on the Hoffman forum but for a novice like me they are somewhat esoteric and wandering.
I wouldn't call any of the discussion esoteric, but wandering yes. That's because there were tons of ideas that were tossed back and forth to try to cop the essence of 65's design.

Here is a link to a tune I recorded with an amp I built which is an amalgamation of all the ideas on the Hoffman forum and what I could glean from the photos Top Brent posted.

http://mixcraftlive.com/index.php?t=pop ... ng_id=1799

Craig
Hey Craig,
Thanks for the info. Do have a layout of how your bump looks. I'm still a novice and learning how "see" a schemo as a layout. BTW, great sounding clip :)

Thanks
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

Here is how I lay mine out. The relay is on a little turret board of its own, and the resistors and caps, as you can see, are hung right off the pots to the switch poles. You could just as easily do the same with a DPDT manual switch.

Thanks for the compliment!
Structo

Post by Structo »

That amps sounds great!

What guitar was used and what speakers/ cab?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

CraigB wrote: You could just as easily do the same with a DPDT manual switch.
That's what I did in my build. I used a 1MA push pull pot for the Boost tone. It works fine as long as I am not playing a note. If I switch while a note is ringing there will be a pop. It does not matter if I switch from unboost to boost or vice versa.