Anyone know about "Sound" amplifiers X-101.. X-202

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chopstuck

Anyone know about "Sound" amplifiers X-101.. X-202

Post by chopstuck »

I have seen two and I own one; a sweet X-101. It's not from Italy. It's marked "Made in USA on the front and has 2 12ax7's 2 EL84s and a 9 pin recto. The cool thing is it has both bass and treble controls and a really good trem too. It's got a wimpy PT but smokes a non-reverb Princeton handily. My guess is no neg feedback.
I have had a similarly constructed amp called a Plush from New York state, This one is built on cheap card / formica / melamine glued to woodblocks to the chassis. Mine had an awful beat up Fender Eminence in it but sounded good anyway. Anyone ever heard of these ? It's a great if economical circuit. I'm going to trace it out if anyone's interested and maybe replicate it with a PT bigger than a postage stamp. So many features with so few triodes. Pictures to follow... I tried to seach the net but with a brand name like "Sound" It's hard to get much of a hit on a search engine.
Heavens, an unused PI input !
collinsamps

Re: Anyone know about "Sound" amplifiers X-101.. X-202

Post by collinsamps »

I have worked on three Sound's but it's been a few years. If I remember correctly they were built by an employee/engineer that was affiliated with Ampeg and built in NY. The ones I had shared the same topology as vintage ampegs as well as the blocks of wood for board supports etc. 7591's and 7868's were in the ones that I serviced and they are not bad sounding amps.
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

Thanks for the reply.
I appreciate sleeper gear like this. This is a low power amp in a big but light cabinet about the size of a Fender Musicmaster bass amp. The cab really helps it sound bigger than its 11-12 watts. With a V30 it will blow over a small RV.
Heavens, an unused PI input !
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I sold a Plush 100 in 2003 its the same an Earth Amp and were not that badly constructed. Not sure if we are talking the same amps here.