Input jack proximity to turret strips...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dehughes

Input jack proximity to turret strips...

Post by dehughes »

Hello again,

How close can an input jack be to the turret strips and/or components such as caps/resistors/ground buss? I installed various things on my build and noticed that the metal tongs of my input jacks are about 1/8" away from a turret on my turret strip. Nothing is touching, but it is pretty close, and I don't know if that will cause any trouble with signals and such later on. I know air is a good insulator, but figured I should check and see now so that I don't have to move things later after I've finished the build.

Thanks!
Tempus edax rerum
Elcabong

Re: Input jack proximity to turret strips...

Post by Elcabong »

That's pretty close. Any problem when you insert a plug in the jack?

I do not think it can cause a problem though, especially if it is close to a ground. But I would be uncomfortable that close to a high voltage.

It also depends on how much work would be necessary to rearrange things.
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

should be fine. some of my builds have been VERY tight.

germ
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Elcabong wrote:That's pretty close. Any problem when you insert a plug in the jack?

I do not think it can cause a problem though, especially if it is close to a ground. But I would be uncomfortable that close to a high voltage.

It also depends on how much work would be necessary to rearrange things.
No. No problem inserting the plug. Touching would never happen, it is just closer than I thought it would be. Only the 1st input would be near the turret, as the 2nd input is situated up a bit from the turret and isn't even close. Input I is close to a ground for a bypass cap on an EF86, so.....whaddya think? How far should they be from things...or to phrase it better, how CLOSE would you think they could safely be to a turret?

david
Tempus edax rerum
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Some pictures of what I'm speaking of...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tempus edax rerum
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

And another....the jacks on the right appear much closer than they are, but in reality they are both distanced from the posts like the jacks in the left of this picture. Lemme know what you guys think of this...too close, or okay.... THANKS!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tempus edax rerum
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

I do not think it is going to cause any problem. When you think about it, turrets or eyelets are sometimes pretty close one to another.

In my builds, I do not go below 3/8" from turret center to center. This translate to about 3/16" between them.
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

THANK YOU.

This forum (r.e., you all) is INVALUABLE.
Tempus edax rerum