DENIED ! HA HA

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

SkinPimp

DENIED ! HA HA

Post by SkinPimp »

I was just denied access to 18watt.com.

"Reason for Denial
This is a chil-friendy forum. Names like "skinpimp" are not permitted.'

Must say this is a first for me . Is this a typical mentality of that community?

Ah well.
dartanion

Re: DENIED ! HA HA

Post by dartanion »

Typical. They've had their panties in a bunge for a few years. Not likely to change either. Most of the helpful folks over there are here to, so ask any 18 watt related question you have here.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
SkinPimp

Post by SkinPimp »

Just kinda surprised is all . I Really enjoy the TAG atmosphere, spend most of my time reading, and learning here anyway. I just finished my Express build , and will give a LONG report when i have time to sit and type a book .. ha ha

So, thanks for not discriminating on me here guys . I'll keep the riff raff to a minimum . ha ha
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yeah I was scolded for talking about Matchless Spitfire clones but when the Lords of 18watt wanted to talk about them, they go right ahead, and then right back to policing the threads. Double standards.

I know many of us are from that forum but the moderators over there are way too freaky about Marshall clones for my taste.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Hey 'pimp,

In regards to the seemingly rather strict policies on 18watt, part of their charter is to ensure that the community remain accessible to anyone, even kids, so they keep a strict PG rating and police content vigorously. Not defending or taking a side, just pointing that out.

AmpGarage is where it's at though...a bunch of great people here, generous with their knowledge, and quick of wit.
SkinPimp

Post by SkinPimp »

Yeah, it dawned on me while taking our daughter to see Santa. That the message was a typo and meant "CHILD-Friendly" and Not CHILL-Friendly.

I understand the message now, But really don't understand the usage of it. While the forum may be accessible to children , It isn't really geared to cater to that crowd. And I don't think my handle is anymore offensive than pedalpimp , or pimp my amp. However, It is all subjective , I know.

I do have a little more respect for the decision now though. Thanks for the insight and open mind here !.

Ryan
briane

Post by briane »

hey, I just my vote, but I think skinpimp is a wild denomer.

Yah, on the edge, but just having returned from SE asia myself, its pretty tame compared to what my daily fare has been ;-)

I used to be over at 18w, but they have had some issues, mostly about keeping on topic and where their funding originates, and it has led to a very strong police state. They do have a lot of good schemos and advice though, dont throw out the baby with the bathwater...
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

briane got it near the mark. The inter web thing is always the next big
commercial intrusion into our lives. As soon as there is an investment of
someone else's money into anything, the focus of the endeavor becomes
baby sitting the money. You had a freedom, a democratic group process / publication,
now you don't.

SAMIZDAT
lazymaryamps
flood

Post by flood »

i suppose my 3 parallel channel "3rd base" concept 18 watter is not going to be welcome there....

...and no point discussing the Junkie Mutt over there either (a BIG thank you to TAG for helping make tha amp possible!).

....and letting your child fool around inside a tube amp before he fully understands and appreciates the dangers involved is probably a lot more irresponsible than allowing "SkinPimp" to register IMO. i don't get the hullabulloo either.... SkinPimp is very tame for a generation that spends most time on the internets on 4chan's random forum. i've seen white-bread german 11 year olds who were more foul mouthed than ben kingsley in "sexy beast". not too different anywhere around the world these days...
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

I'm a mod there...relatively inactive at that. Graydon doesn't want Cindy Lou Who wandering in behind a member and seeing something unexpected on the screen or reading something that leads to questions. The idea that fourteen year olds interested in building amps might join is more hypothetical than, 'Daddy, why is that lady not wearing any clothes?' or the ever popular, 'What does fellatio mean?'
passfan

Post by passfan »

I've tried to register a couple of times with the same screename as I have here and never got on, so I have no idea what I'm missing ???
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

jaysg wrote:I'm a mod there...relatively inactive at that. Graydon doesn't want Cindy Lou Who wandering in behind a member and seeing something unexpected on the screen or reading something that leads to questions. The idea that fourteen year olds interested in building amps might join is more hypothetical than, 'Daddy, why is that lady not wearing any clothes?' or the ever popular, 'What does fellatio mean?'
Hey James,

There never really was that much "dirty talk" on the 18w forum, unless you mean distortion :wink: The major issue these days is that it is a police state. Don't mention a non-Marshall amp or the Gestapo will take you down. Even if the amp in question shares the same topology as a Marshall 18w. It's also funny that since Marshall borrowed from WEM, that you really can't talk about the Dominator. The Mods can talk all they want about whatever they want, ignoring their own rules, so whatever!

What get's my goat is that I was a very active member there and help a lot of folks, and when I called the Mods out on their BS, they banned me. Oh well, nothing really new or interesting over there anyway. Old hat stuff and incredibly boring.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Bear

Post by Bear »

The 18watt non-Marshall purge was a royal PITA. I don't go there anymore because they moved the most interesting content to non-searchable dumping grounds. No, not the Valve Jr. thread. And while yes, that was excessive, they swatted a fly with a truck.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I was just there looking at the 4 pages of posts since I was there last and Katopan? has a good section on his subminature 5902 amp otherwise I stay here.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Too bad.... so sad.... its more their loss, It very surprising that such an old
form of technology would inspire such behavior.

Better get what you can from other free info sites like schematic heaven
before someone goes after them too.

Who wants to be a consumer victim, its like mcdonalds going after any
mom and pop that has any perceived name or product that in any way has
any resemblance to their own product.

Friends don't let friends buy Mc Marshals.
lazymaryamps