Solder!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Cliff Schecht

Solder!

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Does anybody else HATE IT when they run out of solder? It's hard to find good quality solder at a reasonable price in these non-Fry's equipped towns!
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Aurora

Re: Solder!

Post by Aurora »

That's what you get fer livin' out in the boondocks! :D

Actually - I live on an island out in the sea , - our local village is appx 3200 ppl and the nearest "larger" town is about 100km away.....
Guess if we know what you're talkin' about....
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Gotta love Fry's! It's a 4 hour's drive away from me, too.

I know I'm gonna take some heat for this, but my favorite solder is .062" 60/40 rosin core from...ahem...radio shack. It's not the cleanest...It sputters pretty bad. But, I use mostly eyelets and it flows great!
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
Chad

Post by Chad »

KellyBass wrote:Gotta love Fry's! It's a 4 hour's drive away from me, too.

I know I'm gonna take some heat for this, but my favorite solder is .062" 60/40 rosin core from...ahem...radio shack. It's not the cleanest...It sputters pretty bad. But, I use mostly eyelets and it flows great!
Same here. Just because RS is a 15 min. drive. I like it enough that I haven't tried to many other kinds. Chad
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

KellyBass wrote:Gotta love Fry's! It's a 4 hour's drive away from me, too.

Yep, I used Rat Shack solder in a pinch and I've been using it ever since.
smokin' tone

Post by smokin' tone »

I too have melted a lot of Radio Shack solder. :wink:
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

nothing wrong with RS solder and have never had an issue with it.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

That's good to hear, I've probably inadvertently melted lots of RS solder myself. I doubt it's that bad of stuff, as long as it's 60/30ish and has rosin it's all six and one half dozen of another (up until a certain point). I actually use quite a bit of their solid core wire as well, it's never given me any issues and seems to handle HV just fine.

I had a roll of Kester last me for a good 5 years, but since then I haven't invested in a big roll of solder. I seem to cook through this stuff a lot faster with amp building than with all of the other electronics endeavors I've taken on combined :shock:.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Cliff Schecht wrote: I seem to cook through this stuff a lot faster with amp building than with all of the other electronics endeavors I've taken on combined :shock:.
Heh! I hear ya! I had a little tube of kester last me 5 years at my work(pcboards)...but I burn through a 1 lb roll a month at home. 8)
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
TheGimp

Post by TheGimp »

The local HamFest was this past weekend. I found Alpha 60/40 0.032 dia for $5 per 1Lb spool. I got the last two the vendor had. He still had lots of 0.010 but it is too fine for terminal work.
deadbug9

Post by deadbug9 »

What is the best for speaker connections? I always use 60 /40, but if it is not clean solder what happens?