Group Buy/Quantity Discount Pricing

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bruciep07

Group Buy/Quantity Discount Pricing

Post by Bruciep07 »

This is something that I'd thought about posting before and wondered if anyone else had ever considered doing this. I was starting to put together a Mouser order for some items that I use a lot, turrets, 450V caps, jacks, tests points, etc... The turrets were the first thing to jump out at me, Keystone 1509-4's run 1=.62, 100=.55, 500=.37, 1000=.24, 2000=.20, 5000=.178 (I know Watts has them cheaper up to 1,000 count). I was gonna stock up on them and get 1,000 pieces, and figured I'd just put this out there to see if anyone else was interested in doing a sort of "group buy" on some specific items to get the quantity discount. I would rather spend $178 then $240 on 1,000 turrets, and if there are 4 other people on here that like saving money like me, then we may be able to work something out. Caps have decent discounts at volume, etc... You get the picture, anyone have any interest in pursuing this?
Bruce
FYL

Re: Group Buy/Quantity Discount Pricing

Post by FYL »

Doug Hoffman sells high quality turrets for $0.11 ea. in x1,000 quantities.
Bruciep07

Post by Bruciep07 »

FYL wrote:Doug Hoffman sells high quality turrets for $0.11 ea. in x1,000 quantities.
Thanks, I hadn't tried Hoffman's turrets before, I'll have to pick some up... That being said, I like the keystone double turrets, they're big and sturdy and take multiple leads without much trouble. But this isn't limited to just turrets, I was just giving this a shot to see if there was any interest in a component group buy; caps, resistors, turrets,etc...
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bruce,

Have you checked out Ken Watts' new double turrets? See here:
http://turretboards.com/circuit_board_terminals.htm

I have bought his previous double turrets (look like Keystone) on numerous occasions and like them for the same reason; large hole, sturdy etc. If his new ones have an even larger hole, all the better. Sometimes I bore them out in order to provide a single junction for locations such as the phase inverter where four resistors meet. Perhaps he is having these new ones custom made for him by Keystone. I need to call/email to find out.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Colossal wrote:Bruce,

The ones that I currently have appear to be the exact same spec as Keystone 1509-4, although I thought at one time I had received some that had even a larger I.D.
I finished up a small board over the weekend and I'm down to only 14 . I worked up a Mouser BOM yesterday a saw where they are .62/unit in the smallest quantites. I don't use turrents that much, so I only need a couple of hundred, which means I'll most likely will be getting them from Ken again.

TM
Bruciep07

Post by Bruciep07 »

ToneMerc wrote:
Colossal wrote:Bruce,

The ones that I currently have appear to be the exact same spec as Keystone 1509-4, although I thought at one time I had received some that had even a larger I.D.
The ones I have now (bought last year sometime) came from Ken, they appear to be nearly identical to the keystone 1509-4's, didn't know he had new ones with a bigger ID. This brings up another issue for me, that being shipping from multiple sources to get better pricing. The $20 I save buying turrets from Ken is made up in shipping. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just using Watts as an example, I've ordered a few things from him before and he seems to have a good business going, but I still end up buying stuff from other places...
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bruciep07 wrote: but I still end up buying stuff from other places...
Yes, that's just the bane of ampbuilding: there is no one good source for everything. Being nickel and dimed to death on shipping always adds a premium to projects.