PCB w/turrets

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bruciep07

PCB w/turrets

Post by Bruciep07 »

A while back someone posted a gut-shot of an amp that used a PCB with turrets, anyone remember/know who's that was? Seems like an interesting idea, and my creative juices are flowing after seeing RJ's (and Dana's) first run at a PCB Express, plus Martin Manning's different layout. I feel like a PCB with traces to turrets is the best of both worlds, you can make a solid consistent layout while still having the ease of turrets (or eyelets for that matter) for swapping/tweaking components. Thoughts?
John_P_WI

Re: PCB w/turrets

Post by John_P_WI »

This is a great example...

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... pcb+turret

I just wish I had time to learn pcb layout software / build libraries etc.

There seems to be a cool software program "Target 3000" that may do some cool pcb layout stuff, besides the "free" version is priced right :wink:

Edit: Software is Target 3001.....
Last edited by John_P_WI on Fri May 04, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruciep07

Post by Bruciep07 »

John_P_WI wrote:This is a great example...

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... pcb+turret

I just wish I had time to learn pcb layout software / build libraries etc.

There seems to be a cool software program "Target 3000" that may do some cool pcb layout stuff, besides the "free" version is priced right :wink:
That's the one I was thinking of, thanks John! I think that's a great build! I'll have to check out "Target 3000", I've been playing around with PCB Express, haven't ordered anything yet though. I did a layout with a typical express preamp board using plated through holes for turrets but I don't see the point in ordering it as there aren't many board-to-board connections that would warrant a need for a PCB. Granted it would be pretty cool to try but there's a minimum 2 board order at around $50 each, plus shipping, plus turrets. Not really a cost effective option.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Glad to help. Even though I am a basement builder some of my builds can get complex with switching, power scaling etc. I am interested in pcb's for power supply boards where I can develop the different voltage rails needed for the various needs - recently I have been intrigued by the "home made pcb's" using the laser printer toner transfer method. Youtube it, it seems pretty cool. Way too many distractions in amp building.....
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Turrets may be the way to go if you are making your own homemade PCBs as you are usually limited to top and bottom copper with no plate through holes. If you have a professionally manufactured PCB with plate through holes it is very easy to swap components from the top or bottom of the board using an unsoldering braid or solder sucker. I actually use turrets on the Lil Devil amp PCB for the speaker jack connections, but that is so that I can mount it above the board to gain clearance for the plug to be inserted into the jack. They are used more for a spacer than a turret in that application. It's all good. Just jump in with both feet, experiment and have fun. That's what it's all about anyway. 8)
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Thanks Dana for your helpful advice as usual.
ampmike

Appalachians

Post by ampmike »

Hey Dana,This is off topic but I was reading where you live and just relized that we both share a close relationship with the Appalachian Mts.They are the view in my front yard here in Pa.From Maine to Georgia ,Mikey